Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
The number stamped into the stocks predates the Model 1917 Revolver. I agree with ignats that the penciled number is probably the serial number of the original Model 1917 that they came from.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So there were no stamped serial numbers after 1917. The gun isi in almost new condition. If for instance he got a chip in the hard rubber and swapped a pair of smooth walnuts, I don’t know why he would go to the trouble of individually stamping each number of the serial number on each grip. Why wouldn’t he just put them on and be done with it. The grips fit perfectly with no overhang anywhere. The grips have a real nice polished patina unlike the mint 1917 that I owned. I’ll defer to the experts here but it does seam a little unusual . Bill

·
The Consummate Collector
8,080 Posts
Bill

The plain wood stocks were an option that could be ordered. If you can close your eyes and run your fingers all around the edge of the stocks where they meet the metal and not feel where the wood stops and the metal starts then they would most likely be original to the gun. Colt did an excellent job of fitting the stocks and matched them to the frame perfectly. The stocks on your gun are time period correct and not after market as mentioned above, however these were generally marked in pencil and I see what looks to be the original serial number on the stocks, 52549. Those would match the New Service Model 1909 U.S. Army and Navy models. Those stocks were standard on that model. As far as the stamped numbers on the back of the stocks. Colt did often stamp the serial number but the size of the stamping along with the letter (R) is not consistent with what Colt did. It is either an anomaly or was added later. From what I can see I believe that the stocks were added and were originally on a Colt model 1909.

Just my opinion.

Cam

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I do not believe the grips are original to the gun based on the gun’s condition. The grips show wear that is not consistent. Note the area around the grip screw bushing.

Wood Musical instrument Tints and shades Font Metal

·
Registered
357 Posts
That is a super clean NS 44wcf. Can it chamber new 44wcf ammo? The new ammo has a .428 or .429 bullet and the old ammo is .427 IIRC.
It is a really nice gun both in condition and chambering. I have a NS in 44-40 and there is no problem chambering currently manufactured ammo. However, I load and reload my own cartridges using cast lead .429 bullets and do not see .001 or .002 of an inch to be be an issue. That's less than 1 RCH. The grips have the serial number scratched on the inside of them. Sadly, a previous owner got a little too aggressive on the left side of the barrel when "cleaning" The serial number is 185xx it was mfg 1907.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cam , I certainly respect your opinion on anything to do with the New Service. The grips fit really well. I don’t know how badly those grips hurt the value of the gun but it looks and feels great . Bill

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts