Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An interesting article in 'American Rifleman' this month on prices of the snake guns. It is worth reading.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I did read the article. It was great reading but I think the money end of the article was a bit off since it generalizes the guns. It doesn't really clarify which guns are bringing the big money like the 3" Pythons. Still good reading though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think one thing they forgot about is that it's not just the baby boomers who are buying up these guns, but their kids as well. Dad talks about how great Pythons are and how he always wanted one but could never afford it back in the day. Kid then thinks "hmmm I gotta see what all the fuss is about." That's how I got into collecting snakes. My 58 year old father talked up the Colt Python. I fell in and love and started collecting at age 24. In the past year I'm up to 3 Pythons and want to add a 6" in the near future. Article argues that the prices are going up because of the nostalgia with the boomer generation. I'm proof that it's not just that.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
The article was really good and stressed a lot about how more plentiful Pythons, for example, sell for lots more than the fewer Colt SAA of same vintage and new condition. Also, discussions here have seemed to put shooter grade e-nickel Pythons (like mine) in a scarce finish do not seem to command a premium, necessarily. In another words, I don't know what the @#%! is going on out there except snakes are in fact grabbing big $$$$$. Especially here in California where they can't be shipped to.

·
Registered
979 Posts
My grandfather owned a gunstore, my father and my uncle had a love for the Pythons. Here I am at the age of 25 and Colt snake series revolvers are a passion and a love for me. Colt revolvers in general are a great passion, but I am most knowledgable about the snake series revolvers so they are typically the ones I feel most confident in purchasing. Nearly every time I think I have found an old war gun 1911 or a SAA it seems as if it is never a "legit" gun. Gosh I love colts though, and the history behind the fine revolvers. I wish colt would have stayed the company they were in the past.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm 35 and have a 1960 6" owned and carried by a highway patrolman. I always buy snakes when the money is right and will keep on buying till death FYI

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Loved them when I was younger but could never afford them. I got my first one in my late 40's. I'm 52 and I almost can't afford them again Lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts