Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gather a 2nd generation pistol is a good choice. Should I look for a used example, or old stock? Any particular model that is a favorite?
Thanks, C

·
Registered
11,006 Posts
I don't have one, but a Colt 1851 Navy is as cool as they come. The 1860 Army is nice as well. As far as NIB or used is hard to say. They've been discontinued long enough that NIB examples seem to have become somewhat of a collectible in their own right...not like a nice original but they have their own allure and fans. I guess it depends on whether you want to shoot it or leave it new. You can always buy a repro to shoot...it won't really hurt its value.

I have a NIB example of a Colt Walker that hasn't been touched by human hands since it was built. It's only (allegedly) been handled with cotton museum gloves. If I wanted to shoot one I'd get a reproduction...not particularly expensive and it doesn't hurt a NIB real Colt.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I don't have one, but a Colt 1851 Navy is as cool as they come. The 1860 Army is nice as well. As far as NIB or used is hard to say. They've been discontinued long enough that NIB examples seem to have become somewhat of a collectible in their own right...not like a nice original but they have their own allure and fans. I guess it depends on whether you want to shoot it or leave it new. You can always buy a repro to shoot...it won't really hurt its value.

If I wanted to shoot one I'd get a reproduction...not particularly expensive and it doesn't hurt a NIB real Colt.
^^^^^+1

I have 6 Pietta 1851 Navy .36 type repros (2nd Model, 3rd/4th Model, G&G, L&R, S&G, and a fantasy Navy Dragoon with a squareback TG. The G&G and S&G are brass-framed and do not hold up as well as the steel-framed pistols with stout loads.

I also like the Piettas better than the Ubertis because the Ubertis have short arbors (which can be corrected with some gunsmithing). The Piettas are also less expensive to purchase.

Good luck in your endeavors!

Jim

·
Registered
575 Posts
I gather a 2nd generation pistol is a good choice. Should I look for a used example, or old stock? Any particular model that is a favorite?
Thanks, C
My recommendation is for a 2nd Gen 1861 Navy. I've got a pair of them that I bought slightly used almost ten years ago and have used them in CAS matches ever since. They've each had 5000 to 6000 rounds put through them. The creeping loading lever and improved loading lever latchMake them easy to load and you don't have to worry about the loading lever dropping when shooting. They are still my main match guns.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I went a bit overboard with these 2nd generation revolvers, and still pick them up when i see a good bargain. They are all wonderful and i think you will like them. I haven’t shot them, so here’s some non shooting observations....the .44 s will use more powder than the .36 s if you shoot them. Pwrticularly the walker. The dragoons and walkers are big and heavy. You will give your arm a workout holding it out in front of you when you shoot. But they are wonderful for the design and all of the massive parts. The 1861 navy and the 1851 navy have comfortable grips and are light to hold and they just look nice. Great design. If you like the .44, the 1860 Army is worth the visit. Check out the number of all these guns made and you will be very suprised at the low production. For example, the c series 1851 navy, of which approx 15k were made ( which is a low production).Production of most other 2 gen was approx. 3k. And they still sell for low $s despite the rarity. Often the cost of a nice plastic pistol.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
As I recall, Colt made some 1860 Army's in stainless in the 80's. They look good, like a colt that's lost it's finish, or shipped in the white. That's the one I would buy.

·
Registered
575 Posts
As I recall, Colt made some 1860 Army's in stainless in the 80's. They look good, like a colt that's lost it's finish, or shipped in the white. That's the one I would buy.
Colt made 1596 SS 1860 Armies and 490 SS 851 Navies There are usually some on Gunbroker for sale.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Thanks, C
A lot depends on your intended purpose or use for it.

If to be shooting it, then a lot also depends on what size Hands you have.

For me, the Dragoons are perfect!

The m1860 is also very nice.

The Colt "Navy" is too small a grip for me to be comfortable ( even though one can fit a larger Grip frame, if one wants ).

I'd CCW an 1860 ( with flat front 'all meplat' 250 Grain Wad Cutters over Swiss Powder ) and never feel "under-gunned".

I personally do not like the hoaky 'signature series' gesture, but the "2nd Generation" Cap & Ball Colts are very nice and if wishing to be shooting it, I'd get a decent used one and hit the ground running then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts