Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother got this from her father, as she needed a weapon for self defense, which she kept at home. She told me she hated this thing due to the size as she is rather small. I let her know I would buy her a new gun that is smaller and trade her out. I ended up going with a fairly small Taurus .38 special for her, which was only a around $300. Not my favorite brand, but for a gun that will never have more then 50 rounds ran through it, it will do the job. So this is what I wound up with the swap. I am not gun collector by any means, so not too familiar with what this model is, as I have seen a few it looks similar to. Please let me know what I stumbled upon, and the relative value.

Pic2.jpg
Pic1.jpg

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Presuming that is what the barrel roll marking says (I can't be 100% from the photo), I believe you have a Trooper 357. It is the model into which the Colt Model Three-Fifty-Seven morphed as stated in this recent thread: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/49628-colt-model-357-help-needed.html. It has the wide spur hammer and target stocks which were optional. It would date to 1961 - 1968. The exact year can be determined from the serial number. It appears in nice condition and sounds like it was not in an abusive environment with the only threat being care and storage. It would probably be valued in the $500 or so range IMO. All in all a very nice gun. :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where can I legally sell the gun, it's not something I really need as already have a few guns, and no real use for it. It is legal to sell firearms online?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The easiest thing to do would be to tell us what state you live in and put up an ad in our classified section.

I'm sure at $450-500 you would have a few ready buyers that you could sell to, face to face.

If you sell to someone out of state you would have to ship to an FFL in the other state. Shipping costs on your end and FFL fees on the buyers end.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What are the words stamped on the left side of the barrel? I'm kinda thinking it may be a 357.....but it's hard to read in the picture.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
To sell an heirloom like that, whether you "have some guns" or not would not be my personal choice. That's been passed down in your family and should have sentimental value. They don't make these old Colts anymore and the fleeting moment of a few dollars in your pocket is just that. IMHO. The Colt 3 5 7 and the Colt Trooper are iconic revolvers that are accurate, durable and only increase in value when maintained.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
You may be not interested in it but do you have kids that might someday wish they had great grandpa`s gun? How about any nephews? By the way I bought a identical one new like it and carried it many years on my job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I remember correctly the side of the barrel says "COLT 357". I will verify when I get home. The reason behind the selling of the guns is more due to the fact it was taken out of the home after my uncle took his own life, this wasn't the weapon that was used, but in all reality, there is absolutely no sentiment behind the weapon.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
The letter spacing does look more like COLT 357. Just the other side of the comment coin in the referenced thread, made from 1953 to 1961. I would guess the serial to date it later in that period because of the stock style. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The side of the barrel says COLT 357 then below that it says 357 MAGNUM CTG.The only number I can find on the entire gun is 1704 which is stamped in two spots when I open the cylinder. Does that information clear up make/model/year?

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
To sell an heirloom like that, whether you "have some guns" or not would not be my personal choice. That's been passed down in your family and should have sentimental value. They don't make these old Colts anymore and the fleeting moment of a few dollars in your pocket is just that. IMHO. The Colt 3 5 7 and the Colt Trooper are iconic revolvers that are accurate, durable and only increase in value when maintained.
+1

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
1704 would make it an early model 357 made most likely in 1954. Those stocks would not be original for that year.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
In this case earlier may not be better. First year(1954) 3 5 7 models came with a dual tone finish, which this gun lacks. This meens it has been refinished and has the wrong stocks. This takes it out of the realm of collector pistol and into the shooter catagory. It still has value, just not as much as a collector gun would have.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would love to bid on it! Half the fun of gun purchases is in the bidding for me! Find a reasonable FFL Holder, and then after it has sold, to mail it to another FFL holder via USPS and auction it off on a reputable sight. The gun is not that high of value that I would be worried too much about USPS between FFLs. It looks like a fine shooter and wants to be out in the sunshine on the range!:cool:

It's worth what the highest bidder will pay.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts