Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most everyone loves the look of a custom SAA. Threads and photos of custom revolvers owned by forum members elicit comments consisting mostly of superlatives.

Well, I'm thinking there are a good many forum members who haven't the foggiest notion of what the Colt Custom Shop can do for you in the creation of your dream gun. Up until about fifteen minutes ago, I was one of those clueless people. Using just one custom feature as an example, I was somewhat astounded at what Colt charges for a SAA custom finished in Royal Blue with a CC frame.

Anyway, I'm posting a link to the order form used to create and purchase your very own Dream Gun. Interested forum members may view it by clicking here. It makes for interesting reading. As Sam Spade so famously said in The Maltese Falcon..."The stuff that dreams are made of."

There's also an order form visible online for 1911s...so in case you head in that direction, click here.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Rectangle Shotgun

Azure Blue Air gun Trigger Rectangle

And I just had to include this one...

Electric blue Font Wood Cable Rectangle

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
My understanding is you have to order the gun new from Colt as well, as they won't accept already owned guns to be sent in for any of that work? Or am I flat wrong on that one..?
Colt apparently has different qualifiers for doing custom work, depending on which gun we're talking about.

Quoting from the Custom Shop website...bold print and italics are mine:

"Colt will perform work on 1911 pistols that were manufactured by Colt only. Colt will not perform work on firearms that have been previously modified by anyone other than the Colt Custom Shop."

"This order form is for Colt Single Action Army revolvers purchased directly through the Colt Custom Shop.
Please make note of desired caliber in the notes section. Available calibers are located in the Available
Finishes section."

I don't understand their rationale for this, don't understand why you can't send them an NIB SAA for custom work. But them's the rules, I guess. I think maybe if you called them and talked to them personally (and talk real nice) they might consider working on an unmodified Colt SAA bought elsewhere.

I'm sorta waiting on Colt's Dad to weigh in on this. Or anyone, frankly, who knows more about this than I do. Maybe Cozmo or Cam or Lever Action Bill?

(Okay, this is about the third edit I've done on this post. I think I'm through now.)

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And as I read it, you pay twice the amount of the standard SAA for the SAA to be used in your custom shop build.
I haven't paid a lot of attention to all the details yet...may read over them again just for entertainment's sake. But if what you say is true, I'm thinking if you have the money to contract with the Custom Shop for their level of work, you aren't gonna be too concerned with the initial price of whatever gun you choose to have customized.

I'm a firm believer in that thing about you get what you pay for. Plus, for the true collector, factory Custom Shop work will be valued higher (maybe significantly higher) than aftermarket work. There might be some exceptions, of course, such as engraving done by former Colt factory engravers like John Adams.

·
Registered
140 Posts
For me the Custom Shop SAA aren’t interesting from a cost standpoint because the basic model has an MSRP of 2x that of the same non Custom Shop SAA. And if one were to say “Well you would want to add custom shop embellishments, you wouldn’t want just a no frills SAA” than the problem quickly becomes I can quickly find more interesting options in the Colt SAA market for the $5000-$8000 I would pay for a Custom Shop SAA that received some engraving and walnut grips. But I understand the appeal for many and my view is just my own.

·
Registered
12,638 Posts
The Custom Shop is backed up with orders…they can afford to make the rules. If they were begging for work it might be different.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
While it would be great to own a Custom Shop SA, the rough estimate of $7325 is a deal breaker for me.
That does not include lawyer fees and court costs for the more than likely divorce which would result.

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
For the price of a CCS gun I can think of plenty of other custom manufacturers guns that I’d prefer more. Other than their pricing what put a bad taste in my mouth was the Colt Forum 1911 fiasco.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
For me the Custom Shop SAA aren’t interesting from a cost standpoint because the basic model has an MSRP of 2x that of the same non Custom Shop SAA. And if one were to say “Well you would want to add custom shop embellishments, you wouldn’t want just a no frills SAA” than the problem quickly becomes I can quickly find more interesting options in the Colt SAA market for the $5000-$8000 I would pay for a Custom Shop SAA that received some engraving and walnut grips. But I understand the appeal for many and my view is just my own.
I'm not sure we're looking at this the same way. I see the category for the Base Model, but it's the Base Model with a selection of custom finishes. Expensive? Absolutely. But I can't recall seeing a non-Custom Shop SAA in the available calibers with any of those custom finishes. Royal Blue w/CC Frame? Charcoal Blue w/CC Frame?? I'm not sure I've ever seen just a regular old SAA with those finishes in any LGS.

When I (we) talk about an "interesting" gun, a factory-made custom SAA from Colt's Custom Shop, we're talking about the true serious collector who has the bucks to get exactly what he wants within Colt's parameters. This isn't your average guy like me, and maybe you, who walks into an LGS, sees something on the shelf and pulls out the cash or a credit card and goes home with it. These guns are for people who want a factory Colt that looks like nothing anyone else has. They're the same kind of people who buy hand-built automobiles or racing bikes.

I'm not sure you can buy just a plain Jane SAA, even from the Colt site, and have them run it on over to the Custom Shop and have it fancied up like you want it. I think you have to buy one of the Custom Shop basec models with the custom finish and go from there. If someone here knows definitely how this works, I hope they come into this thread and fill in the details.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

For the price of a CCS gun I can think of plenty of other custom manufacturers guns that I’d prefer more. Other than their pricing what put a bad taste in my mouth was the Colt Forum 1911 fiasco.
I'm sure you can. Point is, can you get...let's say a Kimber...or even a Smith...and have it factory finished/customized to the same degree as a Colt factory gun? Looked at any newer S&W blued finishes lately? Or Ruger? There's no comparison to Colts. That's one of the points of this whole thread. These are for people who want a Colt made for them at the factory, personalized and customized as only Colt can do it. They want a Colt...that's the bottom line here. For me, anyway.

It all comes down to personal preference in the end, doesn't it?

·
Registered
8,833 Posts
Once upon a time….I have had several sets of Colt Custom Shop SAA’s. Loved them all. Wish I still had them. Bottom line, you get long in the tooth and short on time and last time I checked, I can’t take them with me. Buy the best you can afford, enjoy them, shoot them if you can. Be grateful you are an American.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I don’t think a Custom Shop gun has , or ever will lose value in any future .
DP said more than once CCS holds its own and then some against the OTHER big 4 or 5 for O model .... AND big 2 or 3 for P model .

But like stated , a John Adams Engraved will never be a slouch if not lettered , but won’t bring long term $$$ like lettered .

Like said , if you are ordering - not crying about Jackson’s , maybe even Franklins .
I’m fortunate , no silver spoon - black actually, but the soul of Sam Colt SA was I was worthy.

If Colt Firearms is your passion , pursue it - You won’t lose.

I see Pease and Black Python going for mad loot .... sellers have no passion, just the profit and dollar signs . That’s 💯 percent ok .... me , I lll stay in the black 🏴‍☠️

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
So that can’t be the only way to get a CCS gun?
I’ve seen that form before and yeah by the time I was done it was stupid high.
I just wonder if in comparison to Wilson Combat the same can be achieved by going thru a premier dealer? Build a gun on WC’s site directly and same thing, it’s stupid high. But I went thru a premier Wilson dealer for a few and got same guns with same features, some that aren’t even listed on the order form for far less.

·
Registered
11,479 Posts
Just one collector's thoughts having have Colt Custom Shop guns and many more custom guns built by reputable makers/artists.

These guns are for people who want a factory Colt that looks like nothing anyone else has..
Most anything that comes from the Colt Custom Shop, be it a SAA or a 1911, can easily be duplicated...with rare exceptions and only then, those exceptions are the top 1% for cost and design, that will be anything other than "ordinary".

personalized and customized as only Colt can do it.
There are so many custom shops offering one-of-a-kind guns be it a Colt SAA or any number or Colt 1911 guns that will make you a true one-of-a-kind gun that will better Colt's efforts. That list of artists is too long to write out.

Colt can build a nice gun but if you want the best in either a SAA or a 1911 as a finished product won't come directly from Colt. The artists capable of making those pieces of art may start with a Colt as the base gun (which is always a smart move as an investment). But the level of skill to make the current "state of the art" and the time involved you simply, and sadly, don't see from Colt today.

That is just the base CCS guns. When it comes to engraving there are engravers that are in much higher demand and exceptionally skilled that over shadow any listed Colt engraver for skill or price. You won't generally loose anything on a CCS gun, unless of course you actually ordered it first hand.

That said I have seen a few engraved CCS SAAs that are dogs for coverage and design. Good luck on those as they don't hold their value over time.

Of the CCS guns I have owned I have never paid retail for one. And never made any extra money selling any of them.

When you could buy a CCS gun for "reasonable money", which was retail for the gun, plus whatever custom items you added, they could be a bargain. Some of Kid's guns are classic examples.

For what they charge these days on just a plain jane CCS gun? "Not so much" doesn't really cover it. I aint drinking their Kool-Aid, sorry.

Of the 4 CCS I still own, just the basic guns (with all their 1st Gen attributes) would cost $6K per gun to duplicate. Mind you I bought them with ivory and engraving for that kind of money 10 years ago now. That is 6K today with plastic grips and no engraving. I really like the guns. But none were perfect from Colt. And I have rebuilt a few from the newest version of the CCS to know they seldom are today.

Happy to sell this CCS gun for $6K with mastodon ivory. It is unfired and NIB. I asked Colt recently and was told I can't buy this gun today from the CCS at any price, even without the ivory. I'm lucky to own it. They guys that got Kid's Custom Shop guns even luckier. They are exceptional guns. Ordered by a guy who knew what he was getting @ paid "reasonable" prices when they we ordered. The most recent CCD priced aren't reasonable by any standard.

Revolver Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun accessory

The Custom Shop is backed up with orders…
These days? My thought?
"A fool and his money are soon parted". Proverbs 21:20

I love my Colts. But anyone that actually believes a plain jane Colt SAA from the CCS is worth $3500+ should put down the crack pipe and get outside more, to see what the guns really sell for.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I jokingly say I ordered two Custom Shop single-actions - my first and my last. I think this was around 1995 - 2000.
When it finally arrived, the fit was a great disappointment and the engraving (a modest amount on the backstrap) looked like something you'd expect to see on a toy cap pistol. The curve at the top of the backstrap where it joined the frame was pitiful. I was so disappointed; I was sick about it. I promptly sold the gun and swore, "never again". It's been no problem keeping my word on that.............

·
Registered
352 Posts
Money be damned, I tried & tried for nearly 2 years to get ahold of Colt for a custom shop order (because I wanted one). Plain as that. Nonetheless, they never answered one call, never returned my voicemails and never replied to any emails... with money in hand regardless the price, to say I was let down is an understatement. Still am.

So to those of you who are actually conversing with somebody there, that in itself is astonishing to me. I've asked it 100 times on the forum I'm sure, but I'll reiterate it again, how the h3ll do you guys make contact with them?? I'm still dying to know that secret so I could talk to them.

·
Registered
11,479 Posts
how the h3ll do you guys make contact with them?
There was a time not long ago (two years ago is about right in the middle of it) that the CCS wasn't taking orders or answering the phone. The wait on the guns that were ordered previous was running two years plus. What was available on the old orders changed (no more BP frames and other 1st Gen nuances were examples as well as the loss of some calibers) so you either took what they would make for you or they canceled your order and issued a refund for your 50% deposit that they held for those 2 plus years.

Once that mess was cleaned up, they started taking orders again at the new prices..which were virtually double the old prices.

Not a business model most can get by with or that customers will stomach.

I don't mind paying gold coins for good whisky but I am not fond of surely bartenders.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts