Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by a large store near state border today,and found several nice Colts-but wouldn't you know it,I have similiar ones,or weren't interested in them. Nice 4" .22 O.P. with original Coltwoods for $335(got a 4" and 6" already). 3" Cobra in .32 for about $300,but have a .32 Courier already,and being a "shooter",not a pure collector, reloading and shooting a .32,except for a 32/20 or .32 mag,is as exciting as watching paint dry! $250 wouldve got me an early Trooper 4" in .38 Special;nice,but wearing Herretts. Came close to getting a 3" 1892 .38 Army/Navy "leftwheeler",but these older D.A.s have never been a favorite of mine for shooting,even though I have a couple;just don't like that "lack of a positive lockup"! Couldve got this for under 2 bills and used mild hollow base wadcutters in .38 Special,as chambers were straight bored,and bore was "oversized".

Guess as I am reaching 65,I realize I have less time to enjoy guns that I buy.

Had a thread on the S&W Forum about buying "duplicates", Never have done this unless price was so low that even trading/selling to a dealer/vulture, I could make some profit. Since I will only buy/sell "face to face",no sense buying duplicates to put on the on line auctions.

Besides,and this is NOT to jump up on a pedistal,there is a helluva lot of greed and gluttony among some collectors. Lets share the wealth,and if you have a nice example of a gun,give someone else a shot at it, Saw a guy on the S&W Forum who just HAD to buy ALL 3 of the older screwdrivers, a seller had;probably were a couple of other collectors who wanted to complete an MIB specimen with one.(IMO,these screwdrivers are overpriced,and a guy is making "repos"). I never felt that they were that good for their intended purpose of adjusting the fine screws, I have a set of genuine English jewelers,that a former girl friend,who I got a job in a friend's jewelry shop when she couldn't find a job,and within 5 years had become a skiled watchmaker,opening her own shop "outta state"(she always had "sensitive" hands!!) sent me as a gift "for my guns"!

Don't know whats worse,having a few extra bucks,and nothing around to buy,or vice versa-and I own and buy just as many early S&Ws as Colts!! No S&Ws there got me "excited"

Next show 'round here is in 2 weeks,but I have to "work" that Sat. at the school I've taught at for nearly 40 years,as the alumni return,and its a great day. Can't recall the last time I went to a show on a Sunday,but I will,and expect the pickings to be "slim",but might find a "desparate dealer" who needs a quick sale for gas money and other expenses,but the accessories,I love to "paw through" are usually gone by Sat. noon.

Long post,I know!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Lonewolf: Interesting outing and the jeweler's screw driver set present is really nice. I would have looked really hard at that 4" Official Police 22 with the Coltwood stocks. The 4-inch model is around, but seem to be more uncommon than the 6-inch. I have several 6" models, but only one 4-inch, and another 4-inch would have been attractive. They really are big 22 revolvers, like the old Troopers are BIG.

Colt Greed and Gluttony: There is a topic for you. I suspect we all have felt a little greed and a desire for Colt obesity from time to time. I notice it in my self with the catalogs in particular. I would have to say that my 1956 catalog collection borders on being obese. Some day I will sell them, I just want about $50 a pop for them.

My initial goal was to have one nice sample of each 22 Colt revolver. Then, that evolved into one of each variation and it goes on and on. I still have not quite reached my first objective. Oh, I could have just thrown money at the goal, but I enjoy the hunt.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
22-rimfire, here's an update on greed and gluttony for you.
At a show in Lakeland yesterday a guy had a Diamondback in blue .22LR 2 1/2", never fired in pristine original box and docs.............$1850!!! Says he got the price from what the guys were asking at the big Tulsa gunshow. Wow, when will it end?

Sorry, did not mean to steal the thread.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Florida gun shows are getting to be a joke. We go to look, and find wood grips, etc. Some of the prices are laughable. But just to keep ourselves honest, we do go when we can. You never know when you may find a cheap sleeper. Good lord lonewolf, you are creeping up on my age. Best places to look for guns in my opinion are still small town gun & pawn shops. Been looking for a Cobra, and found a 98%+ bout new one in 22 cal. that was still in the back getting a price tag filled out. Had it been put in the case, it would have been history in no time.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Robba and Lonewolf:

Yikes! I'm catching up with you guys in age too! Maybe we should join together, and create an Colt "Over the hill" gang, group? Or, something like, "Classic owner's with classic Colt's" Club? Whew! I sure hope that there still will be many more good years left, to enjoy all of our old Colt's, awhile longer, for all of us?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yeah! Whenever we buy a new gun, my son stands there with this sly smile on his face. He better watch it! I have a friend that turns 90 in October, and he still drinks his share of martinis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts