Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I traded a Beretta Nano for a 1961 Colt Detective Special last month (and my first ever Colt, by the way) I found right away the OWB holsters for it were in short supply. This is understandable as the vast number of small revolvers currently in production are Smith & Wesson, Taurus, or Rossi J-frames, and so are the available holsters.

Then I learned that holsters made for the Ruger SP101 allegedly also fit the DS, I immediately got on D.M. Bullard's website. He's my favorite custom holster maker. As it's a one-man shop it's not unusual to wait 16 weeks after you've ordered a holster. However, he happened to have an in-stock Undercover model for the aforementioned Ruger. It arrived the other day. It's a very close fit for the DS, about 95%. You can move the DS very slightly in the holster when it's not on your belt, but snugged up on the belt there is no movement. It seems to sit a bit deep in the holster, but maybe that's no bad thing.

The first photo is of the Undercover.

The second is of a Master's made for a J-frame. However, the DS will go in (and draw in reasonable fashion) but you can see it's not as deeply seated as in the Undercover.

The third photo is of a Hunter (it came with the DS). There's no number on it. There's a tension screw. It looks old school. I have no idea when it was made.

If any of you know of other OWB holsters made for the DS, let us all know.

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
My favorite DS holster-made by AH Hardy.
Colt made pocket holster.
George Lawrence LH holster
I collect vintage holsters & I agree that holsters for the 2" S&W revolvers are more frequently encountered. Regards, turnerriver

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
There is a guy named Ed Buffalo, Unblining Eye leather ,who makes holsters for the old style Colts . He made me a nice lh Holster from horsehide for a Colt 1908. check him out, don't settle. I have found the Desantis Speed scabbard to be a very nice holster for my D frames. Kramer and Rosen are probably the best of the custom makers for the later model D frames

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Here are two of my favorite holsters for the Detective Special -

Simply Rugged Holsters by Rob Leahy of Prescott, AZ.
Silver Dollar Pancake, base price $45.00 (convertable to IWB)

Store / Products

Milt Sparks Holsters of Boise, ID
Model: PMK (for D-Frame Colts), base price $100

Milt Sparks Holsters

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Here's what I have for my DS. the brown holster was purchased with the firearm, the black one I found at a LGS.

Gun Handgun holster Revolver Brown Gun accessory Leather Handgun holster Brown Tan Belt Leather Handgun holster Brown Fashion accessory Gun accessory Gun Revolver Starting pistol Trigger Handgun holster

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.