Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some \"?\" on the US Army Model 1903

I just picked up a VG Colt US Army Model 1903. I am a new to Colt military revolvers and I have some "?" on this fine revolver. I understand that the bore diameter was reduced froom .363" in the 1901 to .357" in the 1903. So is standard military FMJ S&W 38 Special safe to shoot in the 1903? This revolver has three sets of inspectors marks, JEH, LEB and KSM. I know JEH is Captain Hoffer, who are the other two? KSM is also on the cylinder. SN is 241960Q, any thoughts on year this revolor was produced? Are the letters from Colt worth the price for military issued models? TIA

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re: Some \"?\" on the US Army Model 1903

Some might disagree with me on this but:

Even though a .38 Special WILL chamber in your gun, YOUR GUN IS NOT CHAMBERED FOR .38 SPECIAL. It is chambered for .38 Long Colt.

Some folks claim you can shoot very light loaded .38 Special target fodder through this gun; That's up to you. I still have 10 fingers and work hard to keep all of them.

My advice is, if you're going to shoot it, shoot it with the correct amm: .38 Long Colt.

RMV

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pioneer:
I just picked up a VG Colt US Army Model 1903. I am a new to Colt military revolvers and I have some "?" on this fine revolver. I understand that the bore diameter was reduced froom .363" in the 1901 to .357" in the 1903. So is standard military FMJ S&W 38 Special safe to shoot in the 1903? This revolver has three sets of inspectors marks, JEH, LEB and KSM. I know JEH is Captain Hoffer, who are the other two? KSM is also on the cylinder. SN is 241960Q, any thoughts on year this revolor was produced? Are the letters from Colt worth the price for military issued models? TIA<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,
KSM is Kelly S. Morse, a civilian army sub-inspector who inspected the components of your gun. Your gun should have a "1904" on the left side of the frame in front of the grips, which is the year of acceptance by the Army. Your gun was reworked by Remington in 1918 and inspected by Captain Leroy E. Briggs. (LEB) I think the Colt letters are worth the price and I find that you get some interesting shipping destinations in the military models as well as the civilian ones. I found two Model 1895 DA Navys that went to the Revenue Cutter Onodago and I know that the Army supplied revolvers to other branches of military... Who knows what you might get! Hope that helps... Bob Best

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't plan to shoot any 38 Spec in this revolver. I read the info about using 38 Spec at www.coolgunsite.com. The production date looks like it has been buffed or not stamped very deep. I can read "19" no "04". The Colt letter sounds like good idea. Thanks again, now to save a few bucks and buy a 1909.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts