Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 4" SS Python in good condition. Works well, reliable, accurate. Passed thru J.Kuhnhausen book check.
I shoot accasionally a few Magtech FMJ ammo and the rest is my own creations - a lead SWC with .38 Special loads in 357 cartridges. So the gun isn't abused.
Now my questions:
(1) are the "cylinder-collar-hits-frame" area in normal condition ??? (see pics below)

(2) isn't a ratchet-seat or latch-pin in BAD condition ? (see pic below)

(3) The hammer head is not square perfectly with a stop plate. (see pic below) The hammer head has the same signs of worn.

Thx guys.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
From the pictures:

#1 It looks like you've got some seating wear on the frame.
Normally the cylinder collar doesn't "hit the frame", it actually rides on it, leaving a circular wear pattern.

It's not unusual for the collar and frame to "seat", or wear in slightly.

I'd recommend checking cylinder end shake. If you've developed a little end shake, THEN the collar is actually impacting the frame, and this will indent the frame.

#2 The cylinder collar looks normal, with a couple of nicks, which doesn't appear to be an issue.

#3 The recoil face where the ejector rides, and the area around the firing pin appear to have been machined with a slightly dull milling machine cutter.

Manufacturers try to avoid replacing or resharpening cutting tools as long as possible.
Occasionally, they wait a little TOO long, and you get a situation were the cutter "tears" the metal instead of smoothly cutting it.

I don't see any ejector ratchet peening in the seat around the latch pin, which would indicate shooting over-pressure loads, or possible excessive end shake.

There are some nicks on the cylinder latch pin, but unless there's something wrong with the ejector ratchet hole where the latch pin seats, I'm not sure what might have caused this, or if it's really an issue.

#4 Finding impact marks on the firing pin stop plate is normal, and in MOST Colt's with this type of firing pin retention, the marks ARE usually on the right side.

However, the marks shown here are a little deeper than I'd expect.

Some questions:
A. Is this a used gun you bought?

B. How's the face of the hammer look? Dented, burred, deformed?

C. How many rounds do you estimate you've fired though it?

D. Have any end shake?

E. Hows the rear of the ejector look, including the hole?

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
here`s a photo of my 61 python. it`s an ex pd gun, and my cam
era is not nearly as good as yours. ratchet seat shows slight peening,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you SIR for your help.

I think the cylinder must stop (when fired) on the frame or/and crane because there is zero clearance between them.
As to the nicks & dents I must say that this gun appears fine, but that macro-pictures /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif shows any tiny scratches and dots like canyons and caverns /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif))...
You see even what you don't want to see...(dirt,dust)
Here are my replies.

A. The gun was bought as used.

B.

C. I have fired about 550 rounds from it. Fifty Magtech FMJ (quite strong) and the rest my reloads.
I haven't noticed the cylinder collar & frame area, so I wonder now if that signs? are from Magtech ammo.

D. There is a very-very little (don't have feeler gauges) endplay but there's entirely NO endplay when in full lockup.

E.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
If the cylinder has no end shake when the action is uncocked and at rest, it's in time, and is shooting accurately, I'd just enjoy it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. Here's my last question.
Do you think I can produce something wrong with my gun if I grind a little with sandpaper and polish (remove the scratches):
1. the frame where the cyl.collar makes traces
2. hammer face
3. ratchet seat
[idiver]

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
In general, removing material from the crane where the collar bears and the ratchet seat will create/increase end shake depending on the amount of "cleanup". Wait to get the word from dfariswheel. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
"Polishing" of these areas will RUIN the gun.

If you start to have problems with the gun, send it in to Colt for a proper repair.

Again, unless and until the gun develops some kind of actual problem, just shoot and enjoy it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts