Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some questions on a \"far away\" Python (1962)

I'm a newbie to the forum and ... yes, to Colt!

... Before every discovery there's a ...

Recently, I sort of tripped over a 6" blue Python with ser No. 242XX (1962?). This revolver found it's way to the far away (and not so near by) country of Sweden.
As You might imagine the buy was impossible to resist, just one year older than myself!..

Browsing this forum tought me that that the Pythons do have some tricks up their sleeves and while doing all the checks they revealed that my Python do have the timing issue many of You have described.

3 out of 6 pos in an empty cylinder will not lock at slow SA pull. In DA (and before hammer fall in SA) everything is "clicking together", it locks up like a vault in every pos before fire (SA and DA) and it does the "holes where they ought to be".

Inserting cartridges will though improve performance, timing problem is now down to 1 pos! Maybe indicating problems between the cylinder and ejector ratchet/stem?
There is a play here that is visible and obviously affecting the SA pull...

...Well, if You think You're lacking smiths skilled enoughed to handle Colts in the states You may appreciate that there is not too many smiths around this neck of the woods You want to trust with a Python timing issue!

I'm so far shooting rather mild factory loads of .357 (up until 50+ yards) and it works extremely well!!! I will though in the future shoot it at 200 yards in national competitions. No scope or other aid (factory config class).

My questions to all You folks is if this timing-problem eventually will degrade the performance to this, to put it right, "today, well performing instrument"?

...Or, does my Python need the triggerjob of Colt (or an expert smith elsewhere) to prevent bigtime break-down or can I safely have a good time enjoying this gun "as is"?

I will handload but not overload in the future and I certainly hope that this will preserve "a life-time of fun"...

Cheers
Lars

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
Re: Some questions on a \"far away\" Python (1962)

lars, welcome to the forum. it sounds like your gun has a short hand. i would advise that you have it repaired. this is a common problem on this type action and the price to be paid for the tight lockup. it`s a pretty simple job for someone experienced with how the gun works.you might try calling colt to find an authorised repair center near you.you can get their # on the forum home page.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts

When dealing with high priced guns like the Python, I've always followed the standard of "get it fixed sooner, rather than later".

I don't know if they're still in business, but Colt's service center in Sweden WAS:

Karl-Erik Lexne
Vapentjanst
P.O. Box 379
S-16303
Spanga, Sweden

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thank you ICDUX1 and Dfariswheel!

Good advise!
Somewhere I already knew the right answer, but I had a really hard time to find any gunsmith that wasn't either bragging on we-know-it-all or I-can-try, the others (the good ones?) simply state "we can't do Python jobs"...

Dfariswheel are you trying to conquer the world (I don't mind)?
You outwhit all the local guys I've talked to here to actually come up with a contact! Outstanding! Well, good advises are meant to be followed, I will contact "vapentjanst" as soon as possible!

This forum really is THE treachure chest for finding info and think-alikes!

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
778 Posts

You have got that right Lars!

Those of us that do not know anywhere near it all, are very greatful to have some that "DO".

I have yet to see Mr D,and a few of our other very knowlegable members stumped. If it's not on the tip of their tongue, they have the reference books to look it up for you.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts