Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was walking the dogs the other day and started talking to a young guy who moved into a rental house with some friends.
He was talking guns. He said he's going to get a concealed weapons permit. What type of gun do you think he wants?
A .357 revolver!
And, he's only about 23 years old :)

I liked that.

*Edited a title change. Doug.38PR started a recent thread with the same title which got a great variety of response. I meant this title as an addendum to his thread but if I don't change it we'll get the same responses all over again! I meant to refer to it, but not say almost the same thing :bang_wall:

Personally, I like what I call any modern handgun - starting from the SAAs and S&W top breaks up to the plastic guns. Can't get enough of them! :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
I find youngsters who do their firearms history love the nostalgia accompanying old guns. I sell lots of single actions and DA revolvers and, surprisingly, lots of 1911'a as first guns.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
When I teach pistol safety class I tell the students up front I am a revolver guy.Reasons for having your first gun a D/A revolver are as follows. #1 it is easily loaded and unloaded,count out the ejected rounds and count making sure the gun is safe.#2 if in a situation you God Forbid have to use it pull trigger,she no go boom,pull trigger again and BOOM.#3 if you master a Double Action trigger pull you can pick up any semi auto and shoot it well.#4 if you start out this way and go to semi auto you will know what features you want and don't want in your semi auto gun. I wanted a small single stack mag 9mm because of my small hands,I also wanted a magazine disconnect safety as a extra safeguard if I have a lapse in technique,I didn't want "Tactical Tupperware" or a gun that you had to pull trigger to break down, and finnally a DAO trigger and no safety. My Chief's Special in 9mm picked itself, I had it converted to DAO put on Night Sights,and I had my perfect semi auto.This would have been impossible had I not started as a dedicated revolver shooter.JMHO....Mike:cool:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I agee with a revolver as a first gun. But it's hard to convince most youngsters these days. Most want the latest "Tupperware" gun with the largest cap magazine they offer. Some want extra mags and most want extended mags. Had a young fella come in the other day wanting a Beretta 9mm with the two 17rd mags and wanted to order a third. I asked him why he felt he needed so many rounds and he said "in case I miss I want back-up". I reached over and handed him an axe handle we use as a door lock. He says, "What's this for?". I told him I'd feel safer if he used the axe handle in a threating situation. Since he felt he needed 51 rounds to stop a threat, I felt he was going to be the threat.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I doubt you'll find many young people carrying a revolver in Chicago or N.Y.C. ....At least not legally purchased.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Unless you are rich, well connected or pay off the right people you will not be carrying legally in the land of King Bloomberg,Believe it or not King Bloomberg DOES NOT RECOGNIZE A NY STATE PISTOL LICENSE.I wish we could just cut off NYC and let it be as a sovergn kingdom.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Mike,
NYC has only let privileged and well connected people like Robt. DiNiro and Donald Trump have carry permits since the Sullivan Act went into effect. I dislike Bloomberg intensely, but every NYC mayor since 1911 has toed the line.
The law was passsed in the NY legislature. Unfortunately, it is a may issue law. Therefore the issuing authority has the discretion to turn down the applicant on principle, or even if he or she just plain doesn't like you. The rest of the NY State counties appear to be more fair minded than NYC and it's five boroughs. Folks like you who live right over the county line ending NYC are able to get permits, as you well know.
Pennsylvania and many other states concealed carry laws are shall issue laws. The issuing authority must give an applicant the carry license unless they have a criminal or mental history. If your state law was crafted properly, NYC could not get away with it's policy of no carry permits for most residents.

So, but for the substitution of one verb for another, we can see how basic constitutional rights are abrogated.

In 1st class through 3rd class US cities the issuing authority is the Chief of Police or the Superintendant. In cities and rural areas smaller than a class 3 city, the issuing authority is the sheriff.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My friend who owns my LGS offers firearms classes to customers . I teach his handgun classes for him when he is to busy to teach them, he is still on the job. Last week I was teaching a group of new gun owners, and a young man who owned a Glock came up to me after class. Although I am versed in the nomenclature of many weapons to include Glock, I apparently exhibit a dislike for plastic handguns. This young man wanted to know why? I explained a few of my own views on the subject, and then the young man asked "what do you carry"? I show him my Colt DB, I unload the gun and hand it to him. There was an immediate smile when he gripped the revolver, he told me he had never held a revolver before. All his friends at the range shoot new model semi-autos. So, that is what he purchased. I took this young man to the range, and let him shoot my DB, well the young man is looking for a good revolver now. That brought a smile to my face. Peace.Blade

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
In the rest of New York State the issuing agent is the Judge with the exception of NYC and Nassau County NY.This "may issue " thing is quite interesting to say the least.NYC gun laws was one of the major reasons why I left NY City.The penal law states also that the issuing authority may impose any reasonable restrictions they see fit and if you are a "Class A City", ie a population of greater than 1 million people you can throw out the rulebook and write your own laws.Therefore you have "restricted " licenses for target shooting, hunting ect.Now with KING CUOMO our gun industry is going Kahr Arms had enough and we are hearing talk of Kimber Arms leaving too.I guess making more people unemployed will help reduce "Gun Violence" Rant Off......Mike

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Lou I find the reason for the gravity of new shooters to "Tactical Tupperware" more than anything else is the passing along of blatently false information by people who don't have a clue.I have heard ad nauseum about how snubbies are inaccurate, the 38 special cartridge has no stopping power,If 5 or 6 are good 17+1 is better blah,blah,blah.When I give my full take in PSC on the "Revolver-vs Semi Auto" the usual response is Mike you make too much sense Last week I got my hands on one of my student's first guns a butt ugly 2 inch Rhino.The look on his face when he took out the Ten Ring was priceless.I just chuckle and say "Another new shooter has joined the dark side," LOL

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Revolvers are much better for average gun carriers, as under stress, all you have to do is point and pull the trigger. No safety or
decocker to confuse the shooter. I recommend them to most first timers.
And if you hit a bad piece of ammo, just pull the trigger again instead of doing a "tap, rack, bang" and maybe strip the mag and repeat
while you get stabbed or shot.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Yeah, much is made on some forums about this "tap, rack, bang" business as if that is salvation itself. No big deal, eh.

When one stops to think about it, that's a really crummy way to run a automatic.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Mike, I agree with you completely. There are times when I am in my friend's gun store buying something or just killing time, and a few young and old "gun experts" come in the store. They belong to a range, and shoot all the time, but know as much about firearms as I do about miming for uranium. But they have no problem giving advice to anybody about stopping power, carry positions etc.....these guys never carried a gun in their life. I just stand there and smile, my friend just laughs. I had one of these "gun gurus" ask me why I did not like auto? I told him I never said that. I own several semi-autos, I just have no use for some of the modern offerings. Because I have carried a gun for more than 30 years, and I have had to use my weapon on more than one occassion. I rely on an older revolver to protect myself and my family. If someone has the same feeling of confidence with a Glock on their hip, God bless them. If anyone feels the need to have 17+ round magazines, great. As long as they can get the job done, should God forbid the need arises. I just happen to get a warm fuzzy feeling packing a Colt DB, or Cobra. I am completely sure of what I can do with my Smith model 60, or 325. But, so I am not being bias. I have the same confidence carrying one of my Hi-Powers, or a Smith 39. Even the recent 4506, and Colt Mustang I just picked up. To me some of the new offerings out there have no attractive lines about them. Call me crazy, or old, again this is just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.