Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Colt 1911 - WWI Commemoratives...4 Matching serial numbers, Pre 70 series pistols, unfired since factory, in Royal Blue finish...with original display cases.

Why aren't these worth more money than they fetch....even if you bought it as a BBQ gun - shooter? :bang_wall:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
"T" what is the going rate? I have an option to by one from a distant family member in MINT unfired condition and want to give her a fair price, kinda.

·
Premium Member
6,467 Posts
Some folks just aren't interested in Commemoratives. Think about it. They are made not to be used -- just look nice. They do have a certain attraction to some folks that have an attachment to the event being commomorated. However, in the case of WWI, why not buy a real WWI service pistol and have a real shootable piece of history that was actually there? As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I don't have a great answer... but a few possibilities.

- As Colt75 said - they are commemoratives... they were not necessarily intended to shoot (but many do). Therefore, there is a huge supply of pristine condition commemoratives left.

- Colt75 also said that many people interested in a pistol like this will choose to go with a real M1911 instead of a commemorative/

- I don't know how many were made... but none of them were lost in any war.

- In general... anything intended to be commemorative and collectable is generally not going to be.

- I do think the value of these will start moving up... but much slower than an original pistol. About 10 years ago, I was seeing these for $750 each. Now I have seen them around $1000 to maybe $1200 each at auction.

- Original pistol hold more interest. They don't look like something - they ARE something!

Just my ramblings...

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I agree with the assessments made by my piers but I also think the value is laging behind a bit. Commemorative, no commemorative, war time, miller time, it is a Royal Blue ENGRAVED 1911. You are hard pressed to buy a plain one for $1k. I think the grips are Kewl as well.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"T" what is the going rate? I have an option to by one from a distant family member in MINT unfired condition and want to give her a fair price, kinda.
Primer,

I'd say if she just has the one and she is not breaking up the set....$750.00 would be fair to her and a LOT of gun for that price.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with the assessments made by my piers but I also think the value is laging behind a bit. Commemorative, no commemorative, war time, miller time, it is a Royal Blue ENGRAVED 1911. You are hard pressed to buy a plain one for $1k. I think the grips are Kewl as well.
There you go....THAT is my point exactly!!!!

OK, I have a 1968 Colt Gov model with Royal Blue finish that is engraved with gold inlay..... That gun should pull way more than it currently does.
And as I said before....it makes a darn sweet BBQ gun for that money.:D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I agree although engraving is a very personal thing to me and what one likes another may not.

As Colt75 said, they are designed not to shoot. So is there an implied disrespect for the gun and event it commemorates if it gets shot and put in a holster? Or does using it honor the event?

At my CWP class there was a guy next to me shooting a Colt 1911 Commemorative something or other. When I asked him why he was shooting it he replied "because I like it". Made sense to me...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree although engraving is a very personal thing to me and what one likes another may not.

As Colt75 said, they are designed not to shoot. So is there an implied disrespect for the gun and event it commemorates if it gets shot and put in a holster? Or does using it honor the event?

At my CWP class there was a guy next to me shooting a Colt 1911 Commemorative something or other. When I asked him why he was shooting it he replied "because I like it". Made sense to me...
Ratzo,

I totally agree regarding the engraving...

I actually had the thought to call Brent at the Colt custom shop or Turnbull and see how much it would cost to have the slides redone with period rollmarks and reblued. I'm thinking the guns would sell for more money than they do now.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
T.May - I had the same thought regarding re-doing the slide as you suggested - I too wondered how much? I love the Colt Royal Blue finish as well as all the little features - flat mainspring housing, beautifull beavertail hammer, checkered slide stop and safety, long trigger and non-relief frame behing trigger. Mine shoots great but small sights and hammer bite makes you pay attention. This is a pre-model 70 1911 made in the 1960's when Colt quality was super - and there are NO sharp edges! If I were to refinish and restamp slide, I would leave the Rampant Colt on the slide. I've added some WWI accessories to mine - a 45 brass cleaning rod, a Lanyard Loop, Double diamond Stocks, a WWI Screwdriver and the WWI repro Booklets from Colt. And I shoot mine.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Your point is well taken. I see only one example on Gunbroker and the entry bid is $1250. Value issues aside, your guns are beautiful!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jackson,

I acquired these 4 guns earlier this week in a package deal and have just this morning finished cleaning the last one. They had the original lubrication from the late 60's still intact but it was about SAE 90 by now. No rust on any of them anywhere... but you are right, they don't make them like this anymore. The fit and finish and the quality of the internal parts is evident. Even the trigger is Royal Blue. I detail stripped the first one to look at the internals and then just field stripped the last 3 to take off the old lube and replace it. The Royal Blue finish on these 1911's is like looking at my Python...only better cause it has a magazine. ;)

I wish I didn't have the whole matching set of 4 as it would make redoing one of them as we suggested an easier decision... I will let you know.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Rob Greer,You are mistaken when you say none of these Commemoratives were lost in any war.
A young Warrant Officer Aero Scout pilot that was under my command in RVN received a Belleau Wood in the mail from a relative!He had asked someone to send him a good .45 pistol and that is what he got. Sadly, he was literally blown out of the sky,as in little pieces and parts, while carrying that pistol a few days into the Lam Son 719 Operation[when we went into Laos in Feb. 1971]. It was not in his personal effects when inventoried and his "hootch mates" said he had started carrying it daily about two weeks before he was KIA.May he rest in peace,he went to his maker well heeled.Nick

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Some of the Commemoratives must commemorate Ugliness I think - they are way over the top. But if you get a nice one that is moderate in looks, and you want a good looking Colt to shoot, why not get one cheaper than others and use it? It's a pristine gun after all.

Don't try to treat it as something special. But as a good-looking "new" shooter for a real bargain price, then go lube her up and use it - for whatever you want, range, Carry whatever.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Smokey04,

Thanks for sharing that info in my thread.....as a former Marine.....it puts a whole new perspective on the entire conversation for me.

T.May

·
Registered
463 Posts
guys,
sorry i did not get back sooner.I had to go meet a guy about a nib 6 in elite.
The colt 1911 i was asking about is the 4 gun ww 1 commerative.Are these just a colt 1911 government gun,pr 70,etc.I guess the deep blue and just a colt 1911 as a shooter grade would be a good price to me.
thanks for all your advice flk's.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I ran into a few in a gun store recently for $1.2K each. Of course they have been sitting there for months. Somebody bought one of the four. They are a nice pre 70s Colt with uncomfortable grips and lots of extra crap on the frame. I never warmed up to them. Then Colt made the WWI repos and hit a nerve. Got a couple of those.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Does anyone know how many of those WW1 sets were produced? Can't say I am impartial as I purchased a set this morning. Forgot to add.........I think they're an under the radar Colt bargain! Saddle up and shoot those suckers!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts