Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone tell me I didn\'t screw up my Python

The last time I cleaned my Python (6" nickel) I was having a hard time getting the powder rings off of the front of the cylinder, so I took a brass brush and scrubbed real hard. Now, not only does it still have powder rings, but the areas where the black did come off now have a yellowish tinge to them. Did I scrub the nickel off of it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Someone tell me I didn\'t screw up my Python

Take a Q tip with some Sweets Bore Cleaner and rud the front of your cylinder. Probably the yellow tint is only brass rubbed on the surface. Clean the entire cylinder with a dry clean rag and oil lightly. This should solve your problem. Good Luck

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: Someone tell me I didn\'t screw up my Python

Think twice about copper dissolving bore cleaner if you think you have gone through the nickel to the copper which is plated under the nickel. I would first just use Flitz polish, on a Q tip for a little more precision than a cloth, to see if the tinges do remove. That should also remove all but the most stubborn black.
Edited to say: If you violate the copper the steel underneath can/will rust, especially in Zephyrhills. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good news!!!

I scrubbed the front of my cylinder some more with just a rag and some Hoppe's #9, then after everything was dry I hit it with some polish I picked up called "MAAS" (seems to be similar to Flitz) and it cleaned up nicely to reveal the nickel front of the cylinder. Phew!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts