Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not seeing many NEW posts, so I’ll start one.

This unique SAA came across my bench recently. The barrel was actually crushed at the muzzle. If you zoom in you can see...its apparent for sure.

After giving it a once over and cleaning up the internals I decided it needed to be fired BEFORE I did any reconstruction work.
With some soft 250gr lead slugs it printed pretty well at 25 yards. They all slid a little right, but I figured if my barrel-rounding didn’t cure that Ill, I’d turn it a tad.

Burned up 9.
But I was impressed it shot as well as it did with an oblong muzzle.

After rounding the barrel it put 3 in the sweet spot.
Not bad for an older gun with a disability.

Hahaha. And yes for those acutely observant the ejector rod housing did fly off on shot number 7. (That’s been repaired as well)

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
And here I thought you meant a crush fit... ;)

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very interesting. Looks like it’s had a little front sight work as well. So how do you round a barrel that has been flattened like that anyway?
Someone “customized” that front blade a long time ago. And heck I can’t tell HOW I did it. That’s what I get paid to do. ;-)

BTW I did turn the barrel just a tad before I sent it home But I want my customer to enjoy how it shoots now.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Bill, who came highly recommended, fixed some concerning issues with an old Bisley I had, so I sent him this one as a 'challenge'. He did a great job, to the point where now I don't have to worry about 'putting holes' my range neighbor's targets!

Thanks again Bill -- Randy

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rick Not sure how it happened. I’ve seen a couple like this.

Someone along the way filed or chamfered the bore at the muzzle a bit to ease the bullet upon exit.

Randy, thanks for giving me the opportunity. Its a really interesting SAA and looks better than the photos.

Mark and Shooter.
One may be tempted to remove the barrel and pound a range rod or piece of tool steel down the barrel to round it. That’s never a good idea. It would deform the rifling.
The work needs done from the outside so the rifling isn’t damaged. Care needs taken to not move the metal too far, that it goes out of round in the other direction. That could cause the muzzle to crack.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Mark and Shooter.
One may be tempted to remove the barrel and pound a range rod or piece of tool steel down the barrel to round it. That’s never a good idea. It would deform the rifling.
The work needs done from the outside so the rifling isn’t damaged. Care needs taken to not move the metal too far, that it goes out of round in the other direction. That could cause the muzzle to crack.
So you're say just whanging away with my son's 2 1/2lbs blacksmith hammer on the long axis of the oval is NOT the way to approach the problem? :rolleyes::unsure::D:D

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hahaha. And yes for those acutely observant the ejector rod housing did fly off on shot number 7.
Well, there's yer problem! Everyone knows that's just a SIX shooter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
So your saying it's possible to squish out a barrel bulge ........

I'm sure that's been tried lot's of times by.......whom ever. lol

SAA44

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So your saying it's possible to squish out a barrel bulge ........

I'm sure that's been tried lot's of times by.......whom ever. lol

SAA44
I’ve yet to encounter a bulged barrel that shot poorly, so long as there was an inch of Undamaged rifling beyond the bulge.
The bulge on the outside can be eliminated but it’s a lot of work. I have a 10 inch piece of CNC cut perfectly flat tool steel.
it needs sanded longitudinally then the polishing needs to correct the sanding lines. A finished barrel is about the cost of a new one or similar old salvaged barrel.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
Rick Not sure how it happened. I’ve seen a couple like this. {SNIP}

Mark and Shooter.

Thanks for the reply Bill...we value your input as well as your expertise.

Kevin
SHOOTER13

·
Registered
47 Posts
I’ve yet to encounter a bulged barrel that shot poorly, so long as there was an inch of Undamaged rifling beyond the bulge.
The bulge on the outside can be eliminated but it’s a lot of work. I have a 10 inch piece of CNC cut perfectly flat tool steel.
it needs sanded longitudinally then the polishing needs to correct the sanding lines. A finished barrel is about the cost of a new one or similar old salvaged barrel.
Thanks for that info Bill.....always wondered about that....the thing is the barrel swelled only on one side of the Colt SAA .357 barrel... ......scratched my head on that one, and it didn't shoot straight.

I now have a .44 spec. barrel that has a couple of ripples down the shiny outside and figured someone played (eliminate the bulge) with it....lol Can't see any irregularity in side of barrel. Shoots decent, but no tack driver.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bill, very interesting to read your comment about bulged barrels! I heve a S&W 27 that has what looks like a "wave" in the rifling, an inch forward of the forcing cone, cant see a thing from the outside...shoots fantastic!! My old model 61 Winchester has the classic bulge on outside,looks like a black ring inside, about halfway up....also a tack driver! I find this just amazing.....thanks for commenting, sharing your knowledge with us is priceless!.....Thanks

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I currently have 2 guns with ringed/bulged barrels. One is a 2nd Model Woodsman that a guy traded me even for a skinny barrel Ruger MK1. It is still very reliable and accurate. It's not noticeable from the outside but you can feel the ring when cleaning it. After my wife shot it the first time it became known as "Her Gun."
The other is a Model 95 Winchester in 35WCF. Someone had already refinished the stock and I got a good deal because the seller said it was just a wall-hanger because ammo hadn't been made since 1936. The barrel is rough and the bulge about 4" from the muzzle is visible but it is still fun and able to shoot minute-of-water buffalo at 100 yards.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Mark
Had read up on the 35. Are you loading/forming 30-40 brass for your 35 WCF? Performance wise, looks close to 30-40 Krag.
Vic

Reactions: MarkInTx
1 - 20 of 22 Posts