Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past summer I came upon a Stevens Favorite in 32 rimfire pretty cheap. Bought it to convert to 25 rimfire (never shot the 25 rimfire and its on my bucket list) but it locked up so tight and was so accurate I am leaving it alone, other than a rubbed in coat of stock finish. Decided a few weeks ago to take a squirrel with the old gal. What a joy it is to hunt with vintage guns! I was sitting there just wondering who owned it when it was new....was it a gift around the turn of the last century to a young boy, perhaps his first gun? Perhaps a Christmas gift, or perhaps he baled hay and did chores all year to afford it himself, and it was his pride and joy. Did he look at it every night, waiting and dreaming of the weekend so he could hunt with it? How many squirrels and rabbits did it take? What became of him? Took me a couple of hunts (my woods are pretty sterile of animals, plus I am a terrible hunter) but eventually this squirrel fell to the Stevens. Probably the first time in decades (or a century???) it was out in the woods killing game. I sure hope the original owner feels it is in good hands now and was looking down...perhaps guiding my shot! I have plenty of ammo and plan on keeping the rifle awhile...my 25 rimfire Stevens Favorite will have to wait!
20191031_091323.jpg

·
Registered
781 Posts
When you find it you must buy it. I just put 200 rounds of .32 rimfire in the pile and have a lead on some .25-20 single shot. Do not own a gun in either one..... but I will.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very cool. But where the heck did you find shootable 32 rim fire ammo?
About 20 years ago I bought my first 32 RF Stevens Favorite. At the time Navy Arms was selling boxes of the short and long for about $18. I bought several boxes of each. Over the years friends gave me loose rounds of old copper case stuff. I eventually sold that 32 RF rifle but kept the ammo. Now I have enough ammo to last awhile. Interestingly the old copper cased Winchester and Remington shoot very well, but only in the long configuration. The short stuff never shot good but I will keep it because one day a small 32 short RF revolver may wind up in my hand! By the way, I have a small supply of 25RF ammo too, for the day I get a rifle for it.

·
Administrator
7,029 Posts
Are these 32 RF ?
The case diameter up towards the bullet is roughly .377 on both the long and short . Bases marked P and U .

·
Administrator
7,029 Posts
Ok thanks . That makes perfect sense .
I wondered about that but don't have much experience with RF cartridges other than 17/22 .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts