Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that some of you know a bit about all revolvers in general. Can u provide me with a few links to some good Smith forums. I am trying to identify an old smith, but I am totally clueless when it comes to smiths. I can post a pic when I get home. The wierd thing about the gun is it is stamped Interarms, Alexandria Virginia. The city may be off a little, just going from memory at work. I have this stamped on a firestar .45 of mine. It is my understanding that they are an arms importer. Is this some sort of import? Any clues are appreciated.

·
Registered
806 Posts
No problem, it looks to me like a "re-import" of an old S&W M&P (pre model 10)
When they brough them back into this country they are required by law to be stamped with the importers name, and thats one of the many importers who brought these guns back. Sam Cummings ,former owner of 'Interarms' bought up armaments from many countries when he was alive and in business. Had warehouses 'full of stuff' and they could literally "arm" another country with whatever they "needed".

Your gun probably has more 'tell tale' signs on the 'other side' that would give us even MORE info to help you. Number of screws in the side plate, the caliber, and possibly any other 'markings' or even foreign 'proof marks' like the UK used, after they took deliver from the factory.
Hope this 'helps'. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

I gotta head out to your neck of the woods (Hornet not Hilltopper country)to look it over better.

·
Registered
518 Posts
According to Jim Supica and Richard Nahas "Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson" you own a Military and Police Model of 1905 4th Change. This particular model was manufactured between 1915-1942. The serial numbers range from 241704 - 1000000.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took it to a gun show last weekend, took off the grips, and got a history lesson from a very kind table owner, I wont say dealer. He says it is a pre victory series manufactured in either 1936-37 because of some stamping on the backside of the hammer. Orig blue as I suspected, but the Interarms stamp is boggling since neither one of us could locate foreign proof marks. So far I have determined it is prewar with postwar stocks. Thanks all for your help.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The right side picture does NOT show any of the typical 'military ' markings or any used on the 'lend lease' guns, which went to the 'UK'.
Typical 5 screw, and longer barrel, but the cylinder appears long, but the barrel is marked ".38 S&W " and NOT special?? Are the chambers long enough for the 'special cartridge?
The markings on the back of the hammer would indicate a 'pre-war' gun, as these I think are 'patent markings/dates', would have to see them.
I still think it's just an "import" (actually re-import) brough t back into this country by 'Interarms'.
If it was built for actual "export" you would need a factory letter to verify this from the time/date of manufacture, lend lease was later, like 1942, when England "needed" guns!;)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Same length cylinders used in .38 Special,.38 S&W(or .380 as Brits called it).22 lr. and the 32/20.

dant "nailed it";it's one of those that Interarms "reimported". Find some old gun mags from the 50's and 60's and see the ads for what these(and even Triple Locks and 2nd model S&W .455s,and Colt O.Ps and N.S.) were selling for! Most of "wear" was done in transit from careless packing!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bud

1 - 12 of 12 Posts