Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
update on A1 flash hider post # 12 ,also a lnib colt scope
went to south TX this past weekend,looking at pawn shops to view inventory and sitting between 4 other ar's was this lonely colt with the metal retractable stock.
SP1 built in 1982 colt carbine with a 3 prong flash hider in super condition. very very clean inside and out has a m16 colt hammer ,non 16 BCG but all colt clean bright bore with good lands and groves.

they were asking 1499.00 ,walked out with 1250.00 buy.
what do you guys think ??? Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Gun accessory

any specs you see is lint.
oh almost for got it came with 8 mags,2 in sealed plastic wrap.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Great find !!
Remember, it wasn't that long ago and you couldn't give these things away? Everybody wanted a flat top
so they could mount their own sights. Now these things bring stupid money. They were NOT a low production weapon.

You did well on yours and I hope you shoot it and enjoy it.
I love my AR's

Chuck

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Wow, an excellent find, congrats! :cool:

Looks like in excellent shape and a pretty good price in my own opinion.

Yours reminded me of my first Colt carbine a model 6420 AR-15A2 Sporter II carbine that I bought new in 1985, similar to yours except mine had the newer 1/7 twist barrel, A2 flash suppressor, newer style delta ring, teardrop type forward assist, A2 grip and synthetic CAR Fiberlite buttstock.

Your carbine is factory correct except for the 3 prong flash hider, back in 1983 they were already using the A1 type birdcage flash hiders, but if you like what you have now there's no problems with those.

Those aluminum buttstocks are getting rare and expensive now, I would suggest you preserve it and use some other less expensive synthetic mil-spec size stocks that you prefer.

Reactions: eagleeye

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Perfect - same rifle I have and I'm looking for info - Mine is s/n SP329692 but has a 4 position buffer tube??? the buttstock is the correct fiberlite style and everything else on the rifle is 100% as it was new. I've read that they were close to putting 4 position stocks on them and some of the later ones had it - thoughts? Was mine replaced at some point? or do you happen to know when the transition to 4 position was?

Wow, an excellent find, congrats! :cool:

Looks like in excellent shape and a pretty good price in my own opinion.

Yours reminded me of my first Colt carbine a model 6420 AR-15A2 Sporter II carbine that I bought new in 1985, similar to yours except mine had the newer 1/7 twist barrel, A2 flash suppressor, newer style delta ring, teardrop type forward assist, A2 grip and synthetic CAR Fiberlite buttstock.

Your carbine is factory correct except for the 3 prong flash hider, back in 1983 they were already using the A1 type birdcage flash hiders, but if you like what you have now there's no problems with those.

Those aluminum buttstocks are getting rare and expensive now, I would suggest you preserve it and use some other less expensive synthetic mil-spec size stocks that you prefer.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Your carbine's 4 position buffer tube probably was installed later on, my made in 1985 SP2 carbine had 2 position tube.

From my personal notes taken from other owners from a large AR-15 site, the 4 position tubes was first used on the 1999 models, there were some owners with 1998 carbines that only had the 2 position.

I'm not certain but it could also be used earlier like on the 1994 model 6721 AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine (HBAR heavy contour barrel 1/9 twist) law enforcement series, back in the ban era.

I hope some members with post ban 1994 and later carbines chime in here so we could have more info.

On another but similar subject, Magpul just released their new mil-spec size 7 position buffer tube and other hardware (carbine recoil spring, carbine buffers, castle nut, & lower receiver end plate).

I'm thinking of upgrading my 6920 M4 carbine's 4 position to this new tube to have more available stock length positions.

Perfect - same rifle I have and I'm looking for info - Mine is s/n SP329692 but has a 4 position buffer tube??? the buttstock is the correct fiberlite style and everything else on the rifle is 100% as it was new. I've read that they were close to putting 4 position stocks on them and some of the later ones had it - thoughts? Was mine replaced at some point? or do you happen to know when the transition to 4 position was?

·
Premium Member
21,408 Posts
I do not see the indention with black paint over it where the adjustable stock attaches to the lower housing.
Colt did that on all of these CAR's.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts