Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a line on an un-fired SP1. I asked the seller when it was made. I don't know a lot about them. Did they ever have a forward assist? Do all original ones have a 3-prong flash hider? And where the heck is the market for AR's and AK's these days? The seller is asking 1150.00 for un-fired condition. I'd be hoping to knock a hundred off of that.

I'm trying to learn a bit more about the SP1 series. I like the idea of the old classic. I currently have a second-generation AR heavy barrel made during the ban and frankly I only know so much about that.

·
Registered
657 Posts
POST PICTURES HERE FIRST!

Don't jump too fast without doing your homework. Yes, very early SP1s did have 3-prong flash hiders. They also had dimpled selectors and dimpled take down pins along with roll pin secured lower receiver buffer tubes. SP1s never, ever, had forward assists, period. All SP1s had large head screw head pivot pins which require two screwdrivers to disassemble.

If this SP1 has a forward assist upper, then this is a pieces and parts build using an M16A1 upper secured to the lower with an offset type front pivot pin. Look at the bottom rear of the upper receiver and you will most likely see it cut out to accommodate an M16 auto sear.

Go here and check the s/n at the Colt site: Colt Firearm Serial Number Lookup - Year of Manufacture

Reactions: ei8ht and Malysh

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
I agree with everything that MG34_Dan has told you.

One other thing. If you verify everything is correct on this rifle:
If I had one "in unfired condition" I wouldn't be selling it for $1150. If for some reason I was selling at that price, and you counter offered me for $100 less, I would turn you down and not look back. If everything is correct that is a very good price.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I concur what the other members said and would just like to add additional info.

The early version of the SP1 rifle had the three prong flash hiders, around late 1960s to 1970 they changed it to closed prong style which are also called birdcage M16A1 flash suppressor.

Early version also had no trap door buttpad on the buttstock they're just solid rubber buttpads.

Also roll markings on the lower receivers above the left side selector are different, early models have the "Colt's Patent Firearms Mfg Co" while the later production have "Colt's Firearm Division Colt Industries".

My first AR rifle was a Colt Sproter SP1 that I bought brand new in 1971 for $200 that is in todays dollars equivalent to around $1,100 because of inflation, mine had the closed prong birdcage flash hider and solid rubber buttpad, these rifles were made from 1964 up to 1985 (but there were very rare 23 early ones made in 1963 with only two digit serial numbers), the first production rifle started with serial number SP00101.

The early SP1 production in the 1960s have higher prices than later production rifles.

Here are links for serial number info and pictures.

Page Title

Colt AR-15 SP1 | Guns collecting of military or historical interest

Reactions: Malysh

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great. Thanks! I think the one in question has the birdcage. (Photos could be better.) That might date it as later production like I suspected. I won't rush into it. I'm hoping to get most if not all of the money I need from my present Colt AR and drum mag (pictured).

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts