Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe the originals are nfa items. The way I read it, they were designed for behind enemy lines operation, and changed the 5.56 muzzle report to sound more like an AK. Since they were designed to change the sound of the report, they were legally lumped in with suppressors.

Anybody who can clarify, I'd love more info on the history of these

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the originals are nfa items. The way I read it, they were designed for behind enemy lines operation, and changed the 5.56 muzzle report to sound more like an AK. Since they were designed to change the sound of the report, they were legally lumped in with suppressors.

Anybody who can clarify, I'd love more info on the history of these
Yes please, because this barrel is 16” overall to the end of the flash hider.

·
Registered
47 Posts
google "XM177 moderator". There are a lot of non-NFA replica's, but the real deal must be registered.
Lots of discussion online about its intended purpose, some back and forth about the moderator acting as a booster, trapping gas pressure to help the short gas system function,
and about the moderator acting to lower the report of a carbine to that of a regular rifle...thus hiding the presence of SOG forces known to use carbines.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Someone was attempting to duplicate the look of a Vietnam era Colt XM177E1 commando or XM177E2

Some of the replica moderators are slip over style (the one in OPs photo looks like one of these) and some are simply threaded in the back.

real XM177 moderators did little to nothing to reduce the noise or reduce the flash... In VN we use to wrap the moderators with electrical tape to keep water out of the bore ... the baffle core on those eventually fill with carbon residue... I am no expert on these but the moderators May have been used for additional back pressure to aide the short (10.5”) in cycling reliably.

The Colt commando (XM177E1) was a very light handy little carbine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts