Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran across a Ruby at a gun show this am. My question is how does the value of these compare to the original 1903s? This one is marked Azanza y Arrizabalaga Modelo 1916 on the slide. With 2 magazines and a black leather holster, I paid less than half what I paid for my 1903. Is this typical, or did I just see stars in my eyes since I've never run into a ruby in person? Pics to come later this week after I pick it up from my FFL.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
I guess depending on condition these might be in the $300 price range, and this is about what I see most of them listed for. Are these Rubys' worth 300 bucks I don't know. I suppose that if you're into Spanish pistols one of these made by Astra or Star might be interesting.
We had one an Astra, probably a French pistol, really nice bore, he paid $150 at a local pawn shop. I ordered two extra correct magazines from Sarco.

Heavy pistol for caliber but it shot quite well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This one appears to be in quite good condition. There was some papers from the owner with it, hand written notes. The gun was purported bought from a Texan in the 1960s, and was claimed to have been lifted (by the Texan) from a dead German soldier in 1944. The holster does have a metal Swastika cartouche (sp?) on the closing strap, which might lend some credence to the story. It also has the large rivet on the left side of the slide, so I suppose it did actually see some wartime use? Oh well, both magazines with it seem to fit well, so I might as well keep it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The rivet on the slide was most often on guns accepted by the French military during WWI. It is meant to prevent activating the safety when holstering the pistol.

The big problem with Rubies was that magazines from one of the dozens or hundreds of makers seldom worked in a gun other than those from that particular maker. To solve that problem all the guns were stamped with two letters in a oval on the frame and on the magazine so you could match magazines with the right pistol.

But the Ruby is quite different than the Colt 1903s.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Ruby?

I have a Spanish "Ruby" 7.65 Pistol, named DESTROYER. It was made in Eibar, in the Basque Country of Spain by the maker I. Gaztanaga. This particular pistol displays characteristics of a Ruby Semi-auto that was accepted and used by the French in WWI. It has a lanyard loop (bottom left of the grip) and as JAR mentioned, a button rivet on the left side of the slide. The French Military required these "buttons" to prevent releasing the safety while holstering or drawing the gun. Many of the various Ruby Pistols had a magazine capacity of 9 rounds; some as many as 13 rounds. Since these were single stack guns the grip was sometimes longer than the slide! Field Stripping the gun is similar to the Browning and Colts' 1903/08. Empty gun, no magazine, pull slide back, and turn the barrel.

In the French Army Museum at the Place de Invalides in Paris (also home of Napolean's Tomb) is the same model Ruby, the Destroyer, that I have!

·
Premium Member
10,140 Posts
French Pistol?
Marked as a 7.65 Unique.
I know very little about this one.
Similar to what you posted and is why I show it here.

DSCF4441.jpg

DSCF4453.jpg

ei8ht®
OGCA Life Member

·
Registered
162 Posts
French Pistol?
Marked as a 7.65 Unique.
I know very little about this one.
Similar to what you posted and is why I show it here.

View attachment 662713

View attachment 662715
There was a French Company, a maker named "Unique" so that is the factory name. It's actually a later French made copy of the Eibar Style Ruby which was a copy of the Colt 1903. Might actually be better than many of the Rubys.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
The Unique brand pistols were manufactured by Manufacture d’Armes des Pyrénées Françaises (MAPF) in Hendaye, France. That city is just over the border between Spain & France in the Basque region. They made a series of small caliber pistols for civilian and police use under the Unique and other trade names up until 1939. During the German occupation MAPF made pistols for the French police & German army. After WWII they concentrated on sporting, target and Olympic class arms.

·
Premium Member
10,140 Posts
Walter thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts