Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The same can that was used for grease in the 1912 cleaning kit was also later used as a spare parts container. There were two cans containing the following parts, and on this one the printing on the label has faded and I don't know which one it is, but it is full of small parts.

Barrel Bushing
Barrel Link
Barrel Link Pin
Disconnector
Extractor
Firing Pin
Firing Pin Spring
Firing Pin Stop
Hammer
Hammer Pin Hammer Strut Pin
Magazine Catch Lock
Magazine Catch Spring
Mainspring
Plunger Spring
Recoil Spring Guide
Recoil Spring Plug
Safety Lock
Safety Lock Plunger
Sear
Sear Pin
Sear Spring
Slide Stop
Slide Stop Plunger
Stock Screw (4)
Trigger

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
So were these issued to the troops or just to the armorers?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I'd say that's something someone threw together for their own use, or just to keep the parts in one place. It never hurts to have those parts handy, in particular, spare plunger and spring, recoil spring and plug, mag release parts, and slide stop.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I'd say that's something someone threw together for their own use, or just to keep the parts in one place. It never hurts to have those parts handy, in particular, spare plunger and spring, recoil spring and plug, mag release parts, and slide stop.
No, it is a spare parts kit...just like the title of the thread says.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The spare parts container is listed on page 138 of Clawson's Collector's Guide, 3rd Edition.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
We never had anything like that, and I never saw or heard of anything like it. I stand corrected fellows.

50 pistols in a unit...musta been M.P.s or battalion level. I doubt we had 20 pistols in our rifle company.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
We never had anything like that, and I never saw or heard of anything like it. I stand corrected fellows.

50 pistols in a unit...musta been M.P.s or battalion level. I doubt we had 20 pistols in our rifle company.
When did you serve? The kit probably pre-dates your service. I know it does mine...in the 70s.

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
I saw plenty of those 'Squad Cleaning Kits' over time and various units - the old, pre-WWI ones in blue, later WWI ones in grey phosphate - by then, all were reduced to being holders for the cleaning rods - the oiler and can were long gone, and so were the vast bulk of the original brass rods - being replaced by steel ones.

In several decades of service, any spares seen were in plastic pull-out trays in the arms cage - in the late '80's, accountability became paramount, thanks to a theft scandal appearing on '60 Minutes' - if you 'needed' a part - you exchanged the part - and gone were the old stashes the older unit armorers had kept, but the old 'Squad Cleaning Kit' would hang on during the 9mm issues, and likely still do, though a lot of them wandered off to be sold at gun shows, like the spares were.

Today, both the box, can and oiler can be found with some small effort, and make a great addition to a display.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Yes, I also saw the squad kits, but don't ever recall while on active duty seeing a new in the wrap sealed parts kit like Johnny shows here. Saw plenty of loose parts, but not in the old, original packaging.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A hard variation to find with the rods. This one dates to the late 1930's, and while it still has the removable wood and metal rod racks of the earlier kits, the holders are steel rather than brass. Each part of the kit; the wood block, rod holders, and top and bottom of the case all have Drawing Numbers. The unfinished steel rods are marked U.H.CO. at the top of the loop. The box is marked CLIMAX on the bottom.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts