Colt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
My three in regular rotation, a Resistol Panama Shantung, an old Shudde Bros. that belonged to my granddad, and my 6X Resistol; then my old 100% beaver Royal Stetson Stratoliner.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Little known fact: the Ten Gallon Hat and ladies plumed hats were both killed by the same thing ~ motor vehicles. When cowboys started riding in pick up trucks, their tall crowns wouldn't fit. And with carriages giving way to the automobile, those plumed hats had to go.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
My father has a whole rack full of stetson open road hats my grandfather wore 24/7 for about 40 years. Hot or cold that is what he wore. The short brims never made sense to me but every pic I have ever seen of him if he had a hat on that is what he was wearing.

Me...I like a 4.5 inch brim on a size 8 straw hat....

2684131750a97576d860a0db6ffa6b48.jpg

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Funny spoke with Jake Pickle once (he worked for LBJ and later was a US Representative) Lyndon would land somewhere in a helicopter and be wearing a big ole stetson hat. As he greeted the crowd he'd throw that hat into the crowd.

It was Jake's job to fetch that hat back at every campaign stop regardless of who or what ended up with it.

Also I notice Lyndons good friend Billy Graham in the back of that photo.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I rarely wear hats of any type. Occasionally a beanie type when shoveling my driveway after the few snowstorms we get here. Or a ball cap once in a while. But when working in my back yard, which is dotted with 75 to 100 ft tall Ponderosa, Cedar and Coulter Pines, I wear a good old American Fiber Helmet AKA tropical helmet like this one. I bought it many years ago at a surplus store in Oceanside just outside of Camp Pendleton.
Two reasons: One, is that it gives good sun protection, and two, the Coulter Pines have pine cones that literally are the size of pineapples ! A little breeze and they will drop from the treetops and come whistling down like a Corsair in a dive. I imagine that getting clobbered by one would require a lot of stitches. The sun helmet offers some protection from aerial bombardment.

Pith Helmet.jpg
Pine cone.jpg

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
As to "straw" hats, I have a Wrangler wich I learned is not straw but paper. According to Wrangler, the fiber is finely twisted paper impregnated with plastic then woven into a hat. Lasts much longer than straw.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
667 Posts
I rarely wear hats of any type. Occasionally a beanie type when shoveling my driveway after the few snowstorms we get here. Or a ball cap once in a while. But when working in my back yard, which is dotted with 75 to 100 ft tall Ponderosa, Cedar and Coulter Pines, I wear a good old American Fiber Helmet AKA tropical helmet like this one. I bought it many years ago at a surplus store in Oceanside just outside of Camp Pendleton.
Two reasons: One, is that it gives good sun protection, and two, the Coulter Pines have pine cones that literally are the size of pineapples ! A little breeze and they will drop from the treetops and come whistling down like a Corsair in a dive. I imagine that getting clobbered by one would require a lot of stitches. The sun helmet offers some protection from aerial bombardment.

View attachment 745294 View attachment 745295
Field Marshall Lord Alanbrooke claimed that Winston Churchill was the only guy who did not look funny in a topee...

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Several years ago my wife bought me a Stetson Boss of the Plains hat from Parris Hatters for Christmas. Her plan was for me to take it in and have whatever crease I wanted. I I decided to wear it like the originals and whatever crease it ended up with would be what it lived with. Not finished yet but it sure fits well!

The helmet was found in a dusty box of helmets in the attic of the Science Building at Texas Tech. This was the one in the best shape. The others were dented or crushed. It is stamped "1942" on the inside.

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
In a couple amazing photographs discovered in Patagonia it shows both Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid wearing Smokey The Bear, or “campaign” type hats and also guns and holsters. In this link if you scroll way down in it there’s Sundance Kid with Etta Place At their ranch in Cholila. I wish we could see his gun and holster better. The other one with Butch with identical hat isn’t here.

·
Registered
9,045 Posts
Kingcobb said:
Some hats from the early 1900s that belonged to the Guerra family ong with some older saddles. All on display with a lot more at the Briscoe art museum in San Antonio.

Outstanding collection. Thank you for posting it.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts