Colt Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
This is a mighty old thread to dig up :)

This pretty much covers it, "1980 gun had a bad cylinder from Colt. You had to pound empties out of that gun that would fall out of the other '79 Colt."
Yes it is an old thread, but seemed to be what might be a similar issue for me. Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sorry for the long winded answer prior. The bad 44 cylinder, looked every bit as good as a new "good cylinder" to me. Cases seemed tight going in. No rattle. Polishing the chambers didn't seem to help. I've seen bad 45 cylinders with blown bolt cuts. No easy answer for me on the 44. I just figured Colt used a worn out cutter on my bad one. Or someone fired some awful stout loads out of it! Curious what you find.

Blown 45 cylinder. 4 gone out of 6

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Kinda funny rereading this thread. I bought these guns back in the Spring of 2014. Took me a while to get them sorted to my liking after that. But sure have enjoyed shooting them.

Shooting SASS I will typically use a lwt loaded 200gr lead reload. Didn't even know the State match had a "Precision Pistol" side match. If I had known I'd have brought a pair of 7.5" 32-20 guns to sue just for that event. Any way I shot what I had on me. Targets were unusual for SASS, small steel at 25 and 50+ yards if I remember correctly. Nothing difficult for a good shot with a decent handgun. I know where my hunting loads hit at 50 yards. And I had just happen to have a 100 rd box of them in the back seat of the pick up that I lug around most of the time. Three days later I have to admit I was pretty shocked when they announced the winner of that side event. It was mentioned I was the only one to hit every target. Lucky there for sure! But always helps to have good guns with decent ammo :unsure:

2018 and a fun ending to that .44 Story (y)

I've since bought another hand full of 44 Specials :) And eventually 44-40 cylinders to fit every 44 Special I have. Hard to not like a .44.

And shooting steel @ 60 yards...

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is a mighty old thread to dig up :)

This pretty much covers it, "1980 gun had a bad cylinder from Colt. You had to pound empties out of that gun that would fall out of the other '79 Colt."

I was using mild 240 gr loads I was shooting in a S&W at the time, that would fall out of the '79 gun I bought with the 1980 gun. The '79 guns was used, the '80 gun seemingly unfired. But I wouldn't bet on that. At the time most Colt spare parts were still easy to find. I just bought another nickel 44 Special cylinder and fit that to the gun and haven't had a problem since.

The original cylinder you had to forcibly pound the empties out. Bad enough you would easily bend the ejector rod head if you weren't really careful. I ended up pulling the cylinder to pound them out. Same ammo was no problem in a N frame smith or the '79 Colt. Still using the same loads today. No problems since. I had the 44 cylinder rechambered to 45 and still use it in another Colt. Wish I'd have thought about it then, I'd have had it rechambered to to 44-40.

I tried polishing the chambers. That was no help. I thought it might be a 44-40 cylinder but it wasn't Once I figured out I couldn't use that cylinder, I didn't bother to look at the problem any further. I would today. 38 cylinder would be a good donor to make a 44 Special.
I had a similar experience with a custom shop 3rd gen in 44-40 that I bought from a lady who had ordered it for her husband who had never fired it. Made in 1988 the chambers were just really rough and bigger at the front than at the rear. I sent it back to Colt and they replaced the cylinder and some internal parts and sent it back no charge. It was ordered full blue, ivory, 4 3/4. I love it.
It's the top one of this pair;

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
“In each chamber there is a small depression on the inside at about the same location as the locking slots. At first I thought someone had tried to be Elmer Keith shooting heavy loads, but there's no powder ring around the cylinder bore. I tried to take some photos but they aren't too good”

Ken,
I would bet it’s not a depression, it’s most likely a different “sheen” from the heat of the mill cutting the stop notches or treatment after they were milled, it’s only an optical illusion created by such. I see it often.
Well Bill you might be right. although I did shoot one round out of this 44 Special out back there was no indication of any problem. the case extracted fine, rotate when back in fine, okay.
I did shoot it today, a few more factory and 50 reloads. The few factory extracted no problem, the reloads some fell out of the chambers, some need a little push. All seem good, I'm pleased.
I bought a 44-40 cylinder from Numrich, probably paid too much but it was available, shot 5 rounds through that. Both the 44 Spl. and 44-40 WCF printed close enough to be compatible.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts