Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happen to know where there is a very special edition colt python. It is a six inch blue. "Don Tedford All American" stamped colt custom shop special edition. The seller claims that the gun was part of a 40 total production gun run by competitive shooter and head of the colt custom shop Don Tedford done in the 1970's. Asking price is $2,875.00
Was wondering if any of the forum pros have ever heard of these or know any facts. It is a very clean python, excellent condition, only minor handling. Real rare piece.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts
This is probably a Colt Custom Shop "private" edition.
For years Colt offered to build a private short run of guns for anyone who could pay for them.

Special Custom Shop guns were made for fraternal, police, club, just about any group you can think of.
I seem to recall, that Colt would make these in as little as 25 gun runs, and possibly even lower.

Since these were private, usually not for sale to the general public items, few people outside the group they were made for have ever heard of them.

Pricing of these private issue models is very uncertain, since there is usually no past market history to indicate the "real world" market value.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dfariswheel,
Thank you for the insight. All those facts would make sense. He said that it was part of a special run of 40 guns as I mentioned. Both the man's signature (cursive handwriting) and All American (block letters) are stamped on the left and right side of the "python" stamp respectively. He also mentioned it being specially tuned by the gentleman who at the time was head of the colt custom shop. I find it intriguing as a python lover, just a little out of my price range. Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts