Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
\"special\" grips for early 2\" and 2.5\" python?

I saw some small Colt grips that are said to fit early issue 2" and 2.5" Pythons. They look like Official Police grips (i.e. not the typical, oversize grips most of us associate with the Python and Officer's Model Match). Does anyone know if they will fit a post-war Official Police? I would assume so, but you know what happens when you assume...

Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,904 Posts
Re: \"special\" grips for early 2\" and 2.5\" python?

The 2 1/2" Python was usually fitted at the factory with the smaller "service"-type grips. These were the same basic grips used on most all Colt mid-frame revolvers since the 1920's.

These grips will fit the Official Police, with the provision that Colt grip frames do vary somewhat due to polishing and differences in manufacturing.

In short, most any "service" grip will fit most any post-war mid-frame Colt, but may need some fitting for a "perfect" fit.
In practice, they are usually good fits as is.

As a practical matter, the Official Police should have silver grip medallions, not the gold ones used on the Python, but this is a minor issue.

However, a pair of grips sold as "Python" grips are usually MUCH more expensive than the exact same grip advertised as Official Police grips.

A somewhat cheaper option might be to buy a pair of genuine Oficial Police grips from Gun Parts Corporation.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks again! Your assistance is invaluable.

·
Registered
97 Posts

This style of stocks was sometimes also provided with the 3" Python, i think on early to mid '80's production.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bfoster (edited 07-16-2003).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts