Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Colt SAA "Third Generation" 7-1/2" bbl in .45LC. The s/n indicates that it was made in the later part of 1977.

Unlike every other SAA I had seen at the time, this came new with a blued, not color case hardened frame and walnut, rather than hard rubber grips. The smoothness of the action and the fitting of the parts was far better than I had come to expect from other SAAs that I had seen built around that time.

The salesman at the gun shop said that this had been part of a special run hand fitted with left over parts, but I have no proof of that and it could just be sales talk.

Was there a special run? If not, why did it have a blued frame?

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Don Wilkerson writes about the Single Action Army revolvers in full blue finish with plain walnut stocks in a chapter in his book "The Post-War Colt Single Action Revolver 1976-1986". According to Don, all the full blue revolvers were made in "special production runs" in 1977, 1978 and 1979. The first such run of these revolvers started on November 14, 1977 and ended on December 22, 1977. Serial numbers in this run ranged from 81248SA to 98150SA. However none were produced in the 82000SA, 83000SA and 95000SA ranges. In a table on pate 111 of the book, Don indiates that a total of 695 full blue revolvers were produced. (That total also includes New Frontier revolvers with full blue finish.)
For more information, see the book mentioned above.

- - - -Buckspen

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for answering my question. I always wondered if the salesman's story was true. It looks like it was.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Gunbroker member, prussia, has sold full-blue SAA's for a premium above color case hardened frame models. In some cases about $1,000 more than the more common variety guns. Sounds like you have a keeper!

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I have one of the Full Blue New Frontiers that were part of these "Special Runs." Whether they are worth a premium depends, I think, on the buyer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of course all prices are always dependant on the buyer. I am glad to hear that these do command a premium but I really love this gun and have no plans to sell it. I recently sold a S&W model 25 because I found that whenever I had .45LC ammo I always prefered to shoot it in this SAA.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I have a full blue sheriffs model and love it. Don't care if it's worth anymore or not..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts