Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
Boge, First time Ive heard of the variantfit Do they keep from unlocking better than the others? I noticed that if I put the Hks in my pocket they can turn and come open pretty easy. Then the cartridges just fall out in my pocket. Its just too easy with those to have them come apart and have the shells fall out. Are these varaintfit better in that regard? If so, I'll probably buy one.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Don't forget Safariland Comp 1 and Comp 2 Speedloaders. They are excellent and they don't have a knob that can untwist if that's a consideration.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Tried a Safariland (don't know the model) but it was basically flawed. The push button release, which basically rotates and unlocks the bullet retainer, quit working. Looked to be a problem with the plastic cam, or whatever activates the release mechanism. I was going to fix it, but it wasn't worth my time to figure out what was wrong. Chalked it up to design error.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Boge, First time Ive heard of the variantfit Do they keep from unlocking better than the others? I noticed that if I put the Hks in my pocket they can turn and come open pretty easy. Then the cartridges just fall out in my pocket. Its just too easy with those to have them come apart and have the shells fall out. Are these varaintfit better in that regard? If so, I'll probably buy one.

Yes, they are that damn good!! Grant Cunningham swears by them & so do I.

Speedloaders - Michael deBethencourt - YouTube

http://www.snubtraining.com/pdfs/snubby.pdf

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Tried a Safariland (don't know the model) but it was basically flawed. The push button release, which basically rotates and unlocks the bullet retainer, quit working. Looked to be a problem with the plastic cam, or whatever activates the release mechanism. I was going to fix it, but it wasn't worth my time to figure out what was wrong. Chalked it up to design error.
It's great we have a choice of more than one brand, but it was not a design error in the Safariland speedloader you had. You got a bad one, like a person can buy any product and get a defective example. They've been on the market for decades, I've had them for decades and I've never had a bad one. The are just as reliable as HKS are.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I really like the spring loaded discharge of the Safariland speedloaders but I have switched to HKS because HKS hold the cartridges with a bit of wiggle, Safariland holds the cartridges more rigidly. I found that the HKS wiggle, coupled with the round grasping knob allows me to wiggle in a cylinder of cartridges when using a revolver that doesn't have much cylinder clearance with factory stocks not made with a speed loader cut out.

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
What's wrong with cheap and functional? Never had a problem with HKS. Never had one dump the shells in my pocket either. They are easy to find and they make them for almost every revolver under the sun. Plus, as Malysh notes, I like the little bit o wiggle in the way the HKS holds the cartridges. As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I've seen all kinds of speedloaders used in that crucible of equipment testing, action pistol shooting, and HKS loaders, while well made and functional when used slowly, do not take to fast handling. I've seen more than two dozen times when a competitor reached for an HKS in a properly designed pouch, and wound up with an empty speedloader and a pouch with six rounds. There is huge temptation to grab the knob rather than the body, and that occasionally empties the loader. The reason is the "need for speed". If you grip the loader body to insert the cartridges into the cylinder (as you should), you then have to switch your grip to the knob to release the cartridges, and that's slower than grabbing the knob first. IMO, HKS loaders in competition should be restricted to hard-to-find calibers (HKS makes a wider range of loaders than anybody else) or competitions (Bullseye, PPC, etc.) that don't require blazing reload speed. YMMV.

The loaders most often seen in USPSA, IDPA, and ICORE are Safariland Comp III's and Jetloaders, with some SL Variants. All of these use spring-loaded cartridge injection and are generally faster than gravity fed loaders (like Comp I's and Comp II's). None of these require small motor manipulations (like twisting a knob) - you just push the cartridges into the cylinder and the loader's internal trigger releases the cartridges. In addition, if you use round-nosed bullets with chamfered chambers, and don't prevent the cylinder from rotating, you don't even have to be too precise about lining the bullets up with the charge holes. Get them close, and the cylinder will rotate into alignment.

Again, these are my personal opinions, although they are generally borne out by competition. If you prefer HKS anyway, by all means use them. It's better to have confidence in your equipment than it is to conform blindly to someone else's standards. Just be open-minded enough to try different solutions to a problem. You might just find something better.

Buck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looked at Variant. $30 range each. These aren't for competition. But I don't want loose rounds just roaming around my wife's purse either.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've never had a problem with Safariland comps....I like HKS for the range since they are a bit easier to load...but I wouldn't carry them since the knob can turn at the wrong time.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I have used a lot of the HKS speedloaders & like them quite well.
Another I use a lot is the Bianchi Speed Strip. They aren't as fast to reload with as the HKS & some other speed loaders, but I've carried them in my pants pocket for several years & have yet to have a round come out of one. The only thing that has happened is the tab kept bending till it cracked & came off. Another advantage is they lay very flat in a pocket & don't print.
Frank

·
Registered
470 Posts
I gave up on speed loaders a couple years ago and switched to speed strips. They're probably not quite so fast to use, but they're easier to carry, require less fooling around, and don't have any moving parts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old post but I am looking into speedloaders for my DS and was just wondering what your preferred holders are for everyday carry? Also, do you carry them on your strong or weak side?

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
I have several HKS speed loaders for the Detective Special, as well as for a few other revolvers. I like them and use to carry one with an extra load. Well after some consideration I ordered some speed strips. These are more compatible for carry as they are flat and not round like the speed loader, and hold the cartridges more securly.

I am left handed and carry the speed strip in my left front pocket. If I have to reload, and I should practice this some more, I will put the Colt from my left into my right hand, open and dump, and then reload.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts