Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Nice gun but I would haggle a bit based on cracked grips. Those are hard to find and expensive. Other than that it has all the other stuff like box, target, etc,, that are not often found.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Good Lord John....that is beautiful. What is the wood block for ? To keep the stocks from drooping ?

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Good Lord John....that is beautiful. What is the wood block for ? To keep the stocks from drooping ?
The purpose of the wood block was to keep the grips from being broke during shipping. That block is original to the package from Colt it is something that was not added later. That is a key little piece that is almost always missing. This is one of my all time favorite guns in my collection. Another cool factor is the gun is a first year gun.

John

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
The purpose of the wood block was to keep the grips from being broke during shipping. That block is original to the package from Colt it is something that was not added later. That is a key little piece that is almost always missing. This is one of my all time favorite guns in my collection. Another cool factor is the gun is a first year gun.

John
The late Marty Huber, Historian Emeritus at Colt, told me that he was working in the shipping department in 1938 and they started getting complaints about the new MTs arriving with broken grips. He suggested adding a wood block between the ears to protect them, and the rest is history.

·
Registered
1 Posts
John, What is the approximate value of a piece in this kind of condition? I hope this isn't considered a rude question to ask. I found a Match Target in PA that is in 98% condition without the box or parts. I'm trying to figure out what would be a fair price. It's serial number is MT7205.

Nathan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts