Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the gun library at Springfield Mo bass pro I found a 2.5" python for sale at $2,999. I asked the guy what's the serial number, he says colt is very secretive about their serial numbers and we dont know. I say, open the cylinder dufus and lets look, he does and its k xxxx (forgot the exact numbers). He doesn't let me hold it, he hangs on to it tightly. I ask for a colt letter, he says "no we don't have one, they're too expensive, plus we'd have to add $2-300 on the price if we got one..." I tell him I'd never buy a 2.5" without a letter of confirmation it came from colt that way and explain how barrels can be swapped to increase value, he says "no one would do that". No box or any paperwork. I just walked away...

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Good move; I'd have done the same or asked for a knowledgeable sales person. Shame on him for being in a job he's obviously not qualified for.

·
Premium Member
19,006 Posts
There are so many gun dealers like that one. Best not to argue with them. Walking away, like you did, was the wise thing to do. Let them wallow in their own ignorance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes johnny is a good guy but the gun is as advertised, it does have a 2.5" barrel, may or may not be original to that gun. I'm not in a position to take that chance without a letter. I am in bass pro all the time and the workers in the gun library seem to know very little about their product on a consistent basis.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yes johnny is a good guy but the gun is as advertised, it does have a 2.5" barrel, may or may not be original to that gun. I'm not in a position to take that chance without a letter. I am in bass pro all the time and the workers in the gun library seem to know very little about their product on a consistent basis.
What I'm saying is for $2,999.00 you know Bass Pro is thinking this gun is an original 2.5" Python and if it turned out to be less than that, they would refund your money, of that I'm certain! Now if you don't feel like dropping $3k on a nice gun that's understandable too!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Maybe I'm ignorant to this but if it were a 3" I would worry. Being a 2 1/2" there is not much profit margin to turning a gun into a 2 1/2". First I have heard of someone worrying about a counterfeit 2 1/2".

·
Registered
168 Posts
Maybe I'm ignorant to this but if it were a 3" I would worry. Being a 2 1/2" there is not much profit margin to turning a gun into a 2 1/2". First I have heard of someone worrying about a counterfeit 2 1/2".
I was wondering that myself, has anyone directly encountered a fake 2.5" gun?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts