Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My apologies for posting this request in the wrong forum - just not sure where to post it. I have read that "Springfield Research Service" has 4 books that "may" list where a particular colt (by serial number) was assigned OR at least a bunch of colts from one serial number through another serial number were assigned. I found a few of the books online but would have to mortgage the house to look up one colt. :) I ordered a "Factory Letter" but that will only show the "shipped to" and "address." If you have the books and willing to look up a S/N - please PM me so we can work something out.

Thanks!

Got my letter! My puppy was shipped to New York Arsenal, Governor's Island, NY on September 9th, 1863 (SEE: Colt Archive Letter and member submitted information). Now - lets see if I can figure out who it went to!

I contacted CHARLES W. PATE about his upcoming book - it is at the publisher (Mowbray Publishing) right now. I sent a e-mail to the publisher for a projected release date. Will keep ya informed... (4/17/2016)

Heard from the publisher! "...We don't have any date yet, however we do have the book and we will be publishing it. We are working on his Directory first, then the Colt 1840, I'd have to say maybe less than a year. Will let you know when I hear something..."(4/17/2016 4:35 AM)

Heard from the publisher! "...The Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver by Charles W. Pate - First placed on the market only six months before the start of the war, the Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver quickly became the preferred sidearm for both sides of the conflict. Details: Hardcover with Dustjacket, 8.5" x 11", 462 Pages, 900+ B&W Photos..." (1/2/2018 10:22 AM)

Heard from the publisher! "...The new Colt Model 1860 Army Revolver book by Charles Pate has finally arrived from the printers. We will be shipping out all preorders this week. We ship by U.S. Mail so please allow 10 days to 2 weeks for delivery..." (1/29/2018 12:37 AM)

Latest findings for my 1860 Army Revolver SN: 133812

July 12th, 2016

SERIAL NUMBER133,812
CALIBER.44/c
BARREL LENGTH8 Inches
FINISHBlue
TYPE OF STOCKWood
SOLD TOUnited States Government
New York Arsenal
Governor's Island, NY
DATE OF SHIPMENTSeptember 9th, 1863
GUNS IN SHIPMENT1,000

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I contacted CHARLES W. PATE about his upcoming book - it is at the publisher (Mowbray Publishing) right now. I sent a e-mail to the publisher for a projected release date. Will keep ya informed...
That's great news. More than a few of us have contributed information to Charlie and have been patiently waiting for his book on the Colt Model 1860. Be sure and post when you get an update.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That's great news. More than a few of us have contributed information to Charlie and have been patiently waiting for his book on the Colt Model 1860. Be sure and post when you get an update.
Will do!

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
The books themselves have become quite pricey, and at one time SRS offered a CD with the information on it. The letters on the NRA Sales rifles are much like the Colt letters, but letters can be quite detailed on the other pistols, revolvers, and rifles that show up in SRS.

At one time the information was on the internet, but after Frank Mallory died the site was closed.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
SW, I have the books. Latest is 1999 but I have added serials from SAAs found is subsequent SRS newsletters.
What's your question?

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
SW, I have the books. Latest is 1999 but I have added serials from SAAs found is subsequent SRS newsletters.
What's your question?
I sent you a PM - thanks!

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
I wish I had those books!
I have a factory 2" P.P.S. narrow square butt w/original box, that lettered as shipped to US Govt., Wash. D.C. in Feb. 1931.
I would love to know what govt. Agency it was shipped to.

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
New information is constantly being added to the database, and the books are several years old now. Volume I came out 33 years ago. Chances of finding your information is very slim, but your best bet would be to contact Springfield Research Service.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
if anyone successfully hooks up with Springfield Research Service - please let me know. My virus program won't let me get into their referenced site US Martial Arms Collection.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OK - heard from the publisher (Mowbray Publishing) on Charles W. Pate's upcoming book..."...We don't have any date yet, however we do have the book and we will be publishing it. We are working on his Directory first, then the Colt 1840, I'd have to say maybe less than a year..." Will let you know when I hear something.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Has anyone successfully hooked up to the US Martial Arms Collection website yet? I would like to subscribe to the US Martial Arms Collector Magazine but can't get past the website Virus problem. Based on my search - the site has had this problem for months and months. Maybe they are no longer in existence?

Thanks!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Has anyone successfully hooked up to the US Martial Arms Collection website yet? I would like to subscribe to the US Martial Arms Collector Magazine but can't get past the website Virus problem. Based on my search - the site has had this problem for months and months. Maybe they are no longer in existence?

Thanks!
Mail $35 to U.S. Martial Arms Collectors, Box 126, Cabin John, MD. 20818. Email: [email protected] or [email protected].

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Got my letter! My puppy was shipped to New York Arsenal, Governor's Island, NY on September 9th, 1863. Now - lets see if I can figure out who it went to!

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I appreciate everyone's PM's, etc. trying to help out. I will summarize my findings here - might help someone else...

• Colt Archive Letter (June 27, 2016)
    MODEL1860 Army Revolver
    SERIAL NUMBER133,812
    CALIBER.44/c
    BARREL LENGTH8 Inches
    FINISHBlue
    TYPE OF STOCKWood
    SOLD TOUnited States Government
    New York Arsenal
    Governor's Island, NY
    DATE OF SHIPMENTSeptember 9th, 1863
    GUNS IN SHIPMENT1,000
  • Springfield Research Volume 1 - Bracketed by guns known to have been issued to Company L and Company I of the 1st CT Volunteer Cavalry. (But this doesn't necessarily mean yours was issued to that unit--only that there are records remaining of guns from 1st CT)
  • Springfield Research Volume 2 - Closest is 134,919 Model 60A. That one reported in 1st AL Volunteer Cavalry
  • Springfield Research Volume 3 - Nothing close.
  • Springfield Research Volume 4 - Bracketed by 133,626 (Company I - 13th NY Volunteer Cavalry) and 134,309 (Company D - 2nd WV Volunteer Cavalry)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts