Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Stainless Steel Python is SN 562XX. It has a 4" barrel and came with a rubber Pachmayr Presentation grip with gold Colt emblems on it. Can anyone tell me what year it was produced?

Thanks,
clang

------------------
If the horse don't pull you got to carry the load

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
clang

We got a problem, the serial number you posted dates to 1966, but they didn't start making them in stainless til 1983, I believe.
Are you sure it isn't polished or satin nickle?

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 11-29-2003).]

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 11-29-2003).]

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey diamonbak68 & stans,
I rechecked the SN - it is 562** - no letter prefix or suffix. There are 2 Xs under the SN, I assume they are some type of proof marks.

I bought the gun used a few years ago and have not fired it much. I assumed it was SS, with the Colt rubber grips it looks like a newer production gun. The only other nickel gun I have is an old S&W .357 Magnum (pre-27), and the Python is not near as shiny as the Smith. Maybe it is satin Nickel - is there any way to confirm?

I tried the magnet test and it stuck to my Python so I thought this meant that it was Nickel plated for sure, but then I used the same magnet and it stuck to my SF-VI - which I know is SS - so I did not prove anything.

Are there any markings to indicate a nickel finish?

Thanks for your help,
clang

------------------

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
clang

Take off the grips, and on the left side of the grip frame on the lower right corner there should be an "N", if there is it is nickle.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey diamonback,
It's there, a small N (about 6pt font), 2 light strikes and on good one overlapped, sideways, just above and between the grip alignment pin and the front of the grip frame.

And all this time I thought I had a SS one. I guess this leads me to another question, given two 4" Pythons in similar condition (say 95-98%), which is worth more, the Nickel one or the SS one?

My old blue book puts the SS one as worth about $100 more, but I know it is not always acccurate.

------------------

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Believe it or not the stainless is worth more than the nickel, and the stainless is still about $100 more than nickel or blue, but that is according to the BB. In my opinion the nickel is more desirable and usually commands higher prices, at least around this area. The Elite, Ultimate, Hunter or Silhouette is where the prices really start to skyrocket.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
A 1966 nickel Python should be bright polished, not brushed so as to appear similar to stainless. I wonder if the gun has that much wear, or whether it is a later satin nickel refinish (assuming it was an original nickel gun to start with)?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gun is in 98%+ condition. It does not look refinished - all markings and edges are sharp.

Would there be a special stamp or marking if Colt re-nickeled this gun? As my previous post said, there is a small N under the right grip.

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts