Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t seem to recall this being discussed here before but if there is already a thread addressing this topic feel free to just drop a link. I’m working on tweaking a set of stags for a SA to comply with my “exacting” fitment and profile requirements and after the dirty work, I’ve got them cleaned back up to a silky, satin finish @ 1000 grit. Just wondering what our resident grip experts do at this point to achieve that final gloss? Compound and buffer? Wax/oil?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I don’t seem to recall this being discussed here before but if there is already a thread addressing this topic feel free to just drop a link. I’m working on tweaking a set of stags for a SA to comply with my “exacting” fitment and profile requirements and after the dirty work, I’ve got them cleaned back up to a silky, satin finish @ 1000 grit. Just wondering what our resident grip experts do at this point to achieve that final gloss? Compound and buffer? Wax/oil?
When I still made grips I kept a clean buffing wheel,by that I mean hadn't been used for metal polishing & I used that for polishing stag,ivory & even wood to get a nice sheen.I used compound on all the ivory,stag etc. but used a good floor wax on the wood but not on wood that I put an oil finish on.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim. I’ll give the buffer a shot this pm and post a few pics of the finished product.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Once the stag has been polished an occasional polish with Flitz on the smooth surfaces will give it a good shine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts