Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the information of all concerned. I bought a pair of stag grips from 'The Executioner'(Patrick). The man is a craftsman and a gentleman, he did not want to accept $ until I was happy ( of course I was happy, how could I not be with a set of handcrafted stag grips).Very unusual in this year of 2006.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know,I know it's not a Colt but it's still acceptable for a barbecue even if this is NY. The Executioner does make some nice grips.
Jack D.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Beautiful stag grips. Just think how much better they would have looked on a Detective Special.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just recieved my second set of stag grips from Patrick. Both sets are gorgeous. He works with you to make sure you get what you want. He tells me that he is working on getting set up to do grips for D-frame Colts. I can just see a set of elk stag grip[s on a second issue Detective Special. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not a big fan of stag grips, but I couldn't pass up a near mint Detective Special at a gun show in Florida about ten years years ago that had very old, beautifully made and perfectly-fitted stag grips on it; even the grain pattern at the bottoms of each panel are mirror images of each other. Unfortunately, the photo makes the stocks look whiter than they are, and it's obvious in person that they are contempory to the gun.

Out of curiosity I got the pictured factory letter, which showed the usual "not listed" for the stocks. Interestingly, the gun was shipped in 1929 to John Jovino in New York, which is about 35 miles from my current home. So, I had to drive 1600 miles to a gun show to get it 70 years later.

In the photo, I've included another mint 1931 vintage Detective Special with standard stocks. Since I'm able to perform a side-by-side comparison, I definitely prefer the checkered wood in both looks and feel.

By the way, I apologize for the cable tie on the later gun; it's left over from the last gun show where I brought it in to see if I could trade it for something equally interesting. A dealer offered me $450 cash, so I figure that makes the gun worth $900.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Nice guns dorsey. I hate to be the one to tell you,but the "stags" in your photo are actually "jigged bone" grips. These were prevalent up until the 50's. By cutting the bone,the maker could closely match the two panels and render a product that resembled stag. I have several sets of my own. Here's a set on a mid-thirties Smith(sorry) K-frame .22. Also shown with a set of genuine stags and the original factory stocks. Also,FWIW,a pair closely resembling yours sold for $182.49 on Ebay tonight. The seller also had them listed as genuine stag. It's a common misconception.

f.t.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've found that most people who "hate to tell you" something are actually quite pleased to do so, but I appreciate the information anyway.

That doesn't change my general opinion of stag grips; just that I can add jigged bone to the list. I have a few nice S&Ws, but I thought that this was a Colt forum.

·
Registered
293 Posts
May I say that you are incorrect in your initial assumption,at least in my case. Also, I wasn't trying to change your opinion of anything,merely providing some information. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. And you are most certainly correct in thinking that this is the Colt Forum. However,I know of no forum rule which prevents the interjection of another brand for purposes of enlightenment. As a case in point,you may,or may not,have noticed that there are nearly as many Smiths pictured in this thread as Colts. The subject of the thread is stag grips! It is also posted in The Lounge,which is dedicated to the discussion of ANY SUBJECT so long as it is in good taste. Take it for what it's worth. It's no skin off my nose.
f.t.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have a set of Patrick's stags. Nice work and a great guy.

I like the jigged bone, too, but do not have a set yet.

Anybody here understand what "sambar" is? I think maybe it is an Indian (from India) type of deer. I notice that when buying stags, if it is sambar, it usually means it is older and considered better, and is more expensive. I think Patrick uses regular (?!) deer, elk, moose, like that. I have also seen some Dahl sheep (goat? anyway, wild animal running around in the mountains in the Northwest, I think) grips that look pretty darn nice. I have not seen any new sambar grips for sale -- maybe somebody ate 'em all?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sambar stag is the antler material from the male Sambar deer of India,although they have been exported to other countries,most notably Australia and New Zealand which,btw, are now the only places where one may legally hunt the species. The Sambar deer is a large animal approximately the size of an elk,the animal from which Patrick derives the material for most of his grips. India has barred the export of Sambar stag which has resulted in a shortage of the material resulting in the higher prices we are seeing today. Some companies,such as Eagle grips,still have,I believe,a good quantity on hand.
f.t.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts