Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aircraftman: I did not see the gun, myself. Hootch56 told me about it. I think it may have been marked as SS. I do not believe he looked at it very closely. If it is a King Cobra at $760, I will be a buyer on Monday morning.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,458 Posts
Colt didn't make the Trooper, the Trooper Mark III, or the Trooper Mark V in stainless steel.
The first stainless revolver Colt made was the stainless Python which began shipping in late 1982.
The first Trooper TYPE gun Colt made in stainless was the King Cobra.

The Later Troopers like the Mark III and Mark V were offered in bright nickel and in satin electroless nickel which Colt called "Coltguard".
This is often mistaken for stainless steel.
The finish will have the slight yellow tint typical to nickel.

Then too, lots of Colt revolvers were after market plated with hard chrome which can look like stainless except the tint of hard chrome has a slight "blue" color, while stainless steel has a "white" tint.
Simply comparing a stainless steel kitchen utensil to a finish can usually show the color difference and help ID it.

·
Premium Member
3,994 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's one big reason why I joined the Forum. Where else could one access so much Colt information in such a short amount time and know that it is correct. Certainly not on Wikipedia.
Thanks to all who have responded so far.

·
Premium Member
21,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A1A just PM'd me that Colt used magnetic stainless steel. He is a sharp guy ! There goes my magnet test. I guess pulling the grips off and viewing the unpolished metal underneath will help. Based on the consensus of the experts on this Thread, the odds are extremely long against
it being stainless, but if it turns out to be some prototype and someone else buys it, I would really feel stupid. If it is some exotic finish that someone had done to it, I might even like it for 'what it is.'

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
It looks like he will be buying a stainless Trooper on Monday.
saintclair and Hootch56, do you not understand that Colt did not sell the Trooper, Trooper Mark III or Trooper Mark V in stainless steel? (ALL gun stainless steel is magnetic.)

There is ONE prototype stainless Mark III Trooper owned by a Forum member, but I doubt VERY much that it is the one Hootch56 is going to buy. Hootch56 is therefore about to buy a Trooper with some kind of a stainless-appearing finish.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Actually, Colt did make some of the MKIII guns in stainless steel. Not as cataloged production guns but there were a few prototypes that were sold off at auction a few years ago. I have a MkIII stainless Lawman that letters as stainless steel and attempted to snag a stainless Trooper but was too low and too slow. The magnet test won't fly on the low grade stainless used in firearms. The higher grades of aircraft stainless steel are non magnetic but the stainless used in firearms is magnetic. Some of the aftermarket finishes look a lot like stainless...Armalloy, etc. It's possible the Trooper you saw is stainless steel, but highly unlikely.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Hootch56,just buy it and post good photos for all of us to see.I would be interested in seeing a stainless Trooper series prototype.D*

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,458 Posts
Again, you should almost never say "Never" with Colt.

Colt never sold a production stainless Trooper series revolver, but now that Colt sold off their prototypes you can't definitively say much of anything about a particular Colt revolver anymore.

Colt did a LOT of prototyping and we're liable to see anything out there.
However, I'd think most prototypes would be listed as such and high dollar guns in any sale.

·
Premium Member
21,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Trooper that Hootch56 and I have been conversing about turned out to be a chrome plate upon close examination. I think JudgeColt mentioned the tone and texture of certain chrome plating can make a gun look like stainless. It certainly did in this case.
Another dream up in smoke !
The gun that BigRix shows looks identical.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.