Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did all stainless Pythons come with wood stocks from the factory or did some come with rubber ones pending on the years, 80's-90's?Sorry if its a dumb question, just a little new with the pythons..Thanks guys.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,871 Posts
For about the first year (1982-83) the stainless Pythons shipped with Third Type walnut Target grips.
After that, unless it was some sort of limited issue, they shipped with rubber grips up until the Python Elite of the late 1990's.

Rubber grips used varied from year to year.
After that first year or so, the grip was the rubber Pachmayr "Presentation" with gold medallions on all barrel lengths.

In the early 1990's for about a year the Hogue rubber Mono-Grip was used on 4" barrel lengths. These had a Colt emblem molded on the right side where the Hogue emblem usually is.

In the mid 1990's the Pachmayr Presentation was used on the 6" and 8" guns, the Pachmayr "Gripper" was used on the 2 1/2" and 4" models.

In the late 1990's the Python Elite used the laminated wood finger groove grips, these were seen with both silver and gold Colt medallions.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have a stainless matte finish 4" serial #T93XXX. According to the previous owner it was purchased new in May 1992. I don't know what the Date of Mfg based on the serial #, however If i am to beleive the previous owner i am assuming it was mfg before May 1992. It came with the Black Plastic Pachmayr "gripper" with the gold medallion.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.. I just picked up a stainless 4" serial# T643xx.. I'm guessing around 88 or 89? It came with after market elite grips and might be looking for some original ones.Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Mikegs430, I also have a stainless Python T90***. I purchased it in 1990-91. Not 100% at the moment since I am not looking at the sales slip. My revolver also came with the big Pac. rubber target grips with the new colt emblem which was designed for the 150th anniversary. The gripper grips were put on the 4" and 2.5" guns the larger barrels came with the Target style. They may have changed pat those years but this I am certain about since I bought 3 pythons during this time frame.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,871 Posts
It came with the Black Plastic Pachmayr "gripper"

Interestingly, Pachmayr grips are made from real rubber.
Most other "rubber" grips are made from a synthetic known as "Kraton".

·
Registered
620 Posts
Stainless Pythons deserve nice wood, ivory , or pearl stocks.Rubber grips do not cut it, IMHO.
I agree. I put some 3rd generation wood grips and it looks 100% Better. I did notice that the later gen 3 grips see to be a little wider then their predecessors. That or maybe these are a little out of spec. I might put some Elite grips on it. Just can't decide on gray of brown.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I agree. I put some 3rd generation wood grips and it looks 100% Better. I did notice that the later gen 3 grips see to be a little wider then their predecessors. That or maybe these are a little out of spec. I might put some Elite grips on it. Just can't decide on gray of brown.
Try some bonded ivory. They have nice weight and feel. Inexpensive way to see if full ivory may be for you..

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
You need nice set of smooth dark ebony wood grips. They look real sharp and feel great as well.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I recently picked up a 6" stainless from 1983. It came with the 3rd gen walnut stocks. Whoever had it must have immediately taken off the wood stocks and put on Houge monogrips with the silver medallion.
The original wood stocks are in the box and they are Mint/Brand New. They are light brown rather than the dark brown which isnt that uncommon for the later 3rd gen grips/stocks.
I havent put the originals on yet because the Houge monogrip is extremely comfortable and fits my hand perfectly.
Also these older houge monogrips have the silver medallion which looks much better(especially with the stainless) than the newer houges with no medallion.
Also these older houges have the very hard rubber which i like better the pachmyers.
If you can find these old houges grips with the medallion, id recommend then for the stainless python.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts