Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

"The Standard revolvers simply outshine, outperform, and outclass the other traditional single action revolvers on the market.
Congratulation to Standard on making an exceptional firearm, bucking the “race to the bottom” trend and showing off what skilled American craftsmen are still capable of."

Really enjoyed this well done article on the Standard SAA from "Truth About Guns" and thought some might like to read it. They are fine looking revolvers, if you could save up and get one when young and put a lot of miles on it over the years you would have a treasure.!

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have taken the 45 colt to the range and they shoot as good as they look. Trigger is extremely smooth, not a hint of grittiness, and poa is spot on. I dont plan on shooting the 44, it is more of a legacy safe queen to pass on to my children with my Colt SAA's, some of which were passed down to me by my father and his father before him. I hope my children will continue the tradition.

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
I have taken the 45 colt to the range and they shoot as good as they look. Trigger is extremely smooth, not a hint of grittiness, and poa is spot on. I dont plan on shooting the 44, it is more of a legacy safe queen to pass on to my children with my Colt SAA's, some of which were passed down to me by my father and his father before him. I hope my children will continue the tradition.
To be fair, you have to buy one for each child.

Or to save family jealousy and resentment, you can leave it me. 🙃

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It is nice to see that Standard Manufacturing is offering a few more calibers and some custom options like dual cylinders now. I'm sure that for the first year of production they were just trying to keep up with the demand for their standard (no pun intended) guns. It would be great if they can expand their list of options a little more like USFA did.
That nickel gun with nitre blued screws, base pin and ejector rod head and ivory (?) stocks is a real looker !

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
It is nice to see that Standard Manufacturing is offering a few more calibers and some custom options like dual cylinders now. I'm sure that for the first year of production they were just trying to keep up with the demand for their standard (no pun intended) guns. It would be great if they can expand their list of options a little more like USFA did.
That nickel gun with nitre blued screws, base pin and ejector rod head and ivory (?) stocks is a real looker !
I believe the stocks that come on the nickel guns are simulated ivory. Still, a gorgeous gun all around.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Curious, how do they compare to USFA which I feel was the finest saa made.
I have a USFA in the 25000 range and they are almost Identical in presentation. Both are high quality and beautiful. The whole idea behind Standard was to fill the void USFA left behind, not so much to compete with Colt. The only difference that puts Standard ahead of USFA is the fire blued appointments and the timed screws, which are ( forgive the pun ) standard on all models from STD MFG.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Curious, how do they compare to USFA which I feel was the finest saa made.

If one is paying attention there is no comparison. Most simply don't notice Standard's detail and detailing are missing. The nickel gun above is a classic example. Hammer checkering is amateurish at best and doesn't belong on a $2000 gun. The huge script on the two line address? Devil's in the details. The seams on the trigger guard and the obvious dishing of the screw holes you never saw on even the cheap USFA Rodeo IIs that were only bead blasted/brushed nickel. Bright nickel guns were even a better fit and finish. You can get away with (hide) a lot on a poorly done metal prep using a blue and case finish. Not so much on a bright nickel gun if the customer is aware. Sure the Standard guns shoot. But so did the USFA guns and so do the Ubertis that both copied. As does the occasional Colt. Yes qualified screws are nice. The finish is good on the Standard guns but then so was Turnbull's. Any finish is only as good as the guys doing the metal prep. Looking at the nickel Standard above one can imagine where some of the past CCS employees landed because it looks a lot like this pair of well used, vintage '80s Colts with over buffed screw holes.

Standard

USFA bright nickel

A pair of USFA Rodeo IIs with elephant ivory and color cased hammers...that have been fully apart any number of times. And the seams still look good on the frame.

and a better than normal Colt nickel job...with clean screw holes and no dishing and clean seams.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great info and photos Gents thanks.

So standard is now making a duel cylinder 45 Colt/ 45 ACP SAA? On request?

If that's the story- its good news!

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
I'm sorry but the hand checkering on that hammer is laughable on a $2000 revolver. I'd want it replaced. I wouldn't find it acceptable on a Uberti simply because every Uberti I own is better done than that effort. The workman simply failed to clean up his mess there...or didn't know how.

Best I can figure, seemingly folks start missing what no one would find acceptable on even a cheap clone, when the prices go past Colt's retail.

30 minutes effort per gun, done by hand, on a pair of Colts.
DSC01396.JPG

The 3 styles of hand checkering from USFA. It isn't that hard to do it right.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Great info and photos Gents thanks.

So standard is now making a duel cylinder 45 Colt/ 45 ACP SAA? On request?

If that's the story- its good news!
Special order only, not enough demand as of yet. I asked and they were more than willing to make it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts