Colt Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
I do agree that checkering is not that great, and I do look for good checkering. I have old .22 Winchesters that look much better than than. And all Colts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a USFA in the 25000 range and they are almost Identical in presentation. Both are high quality and beautiful. The whole idea behind Standard was to fill the void USFA left behind, not so much to compete with Colt. The only difference that puts Standard ahead of USFA is the fire blued appointments and the timed screws, which are ( forgive the pun ) standard on all models from STD MFG.
I had heard that USFA SAAs were slightly larger in some dimensions than a true Colt 1873. I know the Standard Manufacturing SAAs are to exact Colt dimensions. Was I told incorrectly that USFA SAAs are slightly oversized either frames or cylinders or what have you, or are USFAs dead on dimensionally to Colts?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
515 Posts
This guy does a pretty fair comparison, but you should remember that it's a point in time for each of them, there could have been small changes - but the dimensions of the frames and cylinders stayed the same (i.e., slightly different) within manufacturers.

watch

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
I had heard that USFA SAAs were slightly larger in some dimensions than a true Colt 1873. I know the Standard Manufacturing SAAs are to exact Colt dimensions. Was I told incorrectly that USFA SAAs are slightly oversized either frames or cylinders or what have you, or are USFAs dead on dimensionally to Colts?

They aren't Colt sizing. Both USFA and now Standard have all used the original Uberti spec frames and cylinders sizes which are bigger. Easy enough to feel in the hand and easier yet to actually see in a side by side comparison.

Pietta it the only one that has mimicing Colt for size. Uberti, Standard and past production USFA are all Uberti sized guns. They are bigger. Some folks seem to think it is not noticeable. Some folks just aren't very discerning.

I have and shoot all 5 manufacture's guns. The size/balance and weight differences are easily noticeable to me between Colt (Pietta) and Uberti (USFA/Standard). All 5 also have nuanced differences on how they built their guns.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Great info and photos Gents thanks.

So standard is now making a duel cylinder 45 Colt/ 45 ACP SAA? On request?

If that's the story- its good news!
FYI. I emailed Standard/ Connecticut Shotgun this morning and asked them for the fifth time if they would offer for sale a 45ACP cylinder for my Single Action Standard which I bought in their very early production. They were prompt to reply, but they wrote :
As mentioned before, we don't offer that.

Standard Mfg. Co.
100 Burritt St
New Britain, CT 06053

860-225-6581 FAX: 860-832-8707

www.stdgun.com

This reply was because I ask them about every 6 months the same question.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I asked about ordering one in 44 WCF about a year ago this month, & received this response “We make any of the configurations on our website www.stdgun.com” with a thank you in Portuguese. (My email & screen name must have prompted it!) I think I will ask again, as it appears things have changed based on 1stgen1916saa‘s experience.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts