Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They just announced their guns are for sale with limited lifetime warranty. $1895, I’m not going first though. Best to see how they turn out.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well I'll be darned! Didn't think we would actually see them for sale. Of course we haven't actually seen one in the hands of a buyer, now have we.

Dave

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol no we haven’t and it was supposed to come to market last fall I think . I could almost buy another colt for a few hundred more so Im a coward and will wait until I hear what you guys think.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
gazelle said:
Looks good. Packaging shown online looks extraordinarily reminiscent of USFA
Not just the packaging....gun does as well. Anyone want to make some bets on the gun's actual specs and internals? I'd put real money on a American made UBERTI CLONE. :bang_wall: Hahhahahahah, that would be some seriously weird Orwellian
circle chit if so.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
What makes a SAA "Italian type" vs "USA Colt type"? Do the few internal parts have Roman scrollwork? Do they use expresso instead of charcoal to do the case hardening?

If Colt buys steel from China, isn't it a "Chinese Colt"? If Uberti copied a 1st generation Colt in 1980 to make their Cimmerons, does that make it more of a Colt than a "real" Colt made in 1978 by disgruntled Union workers?

If a CNC drill machines a piece of steel to the EXACT engineering specifications of an 1902 Colt SAA, is it more of a "Colt" than something poorly cast by a US or Italian company?

If a poorly trained SAA assembler/fitter fudges up the action of a "real" 1999 Colt, does that make it better than the unerring electronic eye of a computer controlled milling operation in 2018?

All rhetorical questions. But I sometimes feel people think a stamp, or a letter, or a US worker waving his hand over a gun somehow makes it "more real" than another one. At the same time dismissing other guns/cars/etc using just as vague, subjective determining factors.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I think what makes it a real Colt ... is pre and early post war when a man went to his place of work every day for more then twenty years.He felt secure and had pride in his work and cared about the final result, just like anything else things- objects can take on the heart of the maker who truly gives a Sh*t about their work.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
What makes a SAA "Italian type" vs "USA Colt type"? Do the few internal parts have Roman scrollwork? Do they use expresso instead of charcoal to do the case hardening?

If Colt buys steel from China, isn't it a "Chinese Colt"? If Uberti copied a 1st generation Colt in 1980 to make their Cimmerons, does that make it more of a Colt than a "real" Colt made in 1978 by disgruntled Union workers?

If a CNC drill machines a piece of steel to the EXACT engineering specifications of an 1902 Colt SAA, is it more of a "Colt" than something poorly cast by a US or Italian company?

If a poorly trained SAA assembler/fitter fudges up the action of a "real" 1999 Colt, does that make it better than the unerring electronic eye of a computer controlled milling operation in 2018?

All rhetorical questions. But I sometimes feel people think a stamp, or a letter, or a US worker waving his hand over a gun somehow makes it "more real" than another one. At the same time dismissing other guns/cars/etc using just as vague, subjective determining factors.
I think what he means is will they use the Colt specs, or the Italian specs? There is quite a difference between the two that has nothing to do with Chinese steel or or Italian scroll marks in them. USFA, for example, chose to go with the Uberti specs for the most part instead of Colt, so the question becomes what will Standard do?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I put a deposit down on a 4 3/4" .45 several months ago and it is shipping out on Monday . As soon as I get a chance to shoot it and get a good look at it , I will post a few pics and a short review .

I did buy one of their all blued 1911's last month when they were on sale . I have about 400rds thru it with no failures of any kind . It is the most accurate 1911 I have ever fired and put together very nicely, really a top notch gun . So I have high hopes for the SA .....we will see

·
Registered
581 Posts
To me MARKO65 has a point. To me the real "Colts" are the 1st Generations. If I could afford them they are all I would own (as I once did - BooHoo). Even the much touted 2nd Gen was getting sorry toward the end of their run.

Dave

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
To me MARKO65 has a point. To me the real "Colts" are the 1st Generations. If I could afford them they are all I would own (as I once did - BooHoo). Even the much touted 2nd Gen was getting sorry toward the end of their run.

Dave
That's fine and you are entitled to your opinion on the matter. But your opinion matters only to you and obviously has very little sway in the market place that accepts all the SAA's made by Colt to be real Colts. There's also this inconvenient fact that the name Colt is all over the gun, box, papers, etc. So whether you want to believe them to be real or not is quite frankly irrelevant. Except to me, since that means there will be one less person to compete with for buying new Colts.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
... Except to me, since that means there will be one less person to compete with for buying new Colts.
Make that 2 people, I won't buy another "new" Colt SAA. I'd rather buy a USA USFA, or a nice 2nd gen Colt, or maybe this new Standard, once we find out a little more about it, for that kind of money. As much as I'd prefer 1st gens, ones in the quality I'd like are a bit out of my comfort zone price wise.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I think what he means is will they use the Colt specs, or the Italian specs? There is quite a difference between the two that has nothing to do with Chinese steel or or Italian scroll marks in them. USFA, for example, chose to go with the Uberti specs for the most part instead of Colt, so the question becomes what will Standard do?
I know there are some very minor differences in some of the internal parts of the USFA/Uberti guns as compared to Colt (there are also differences between the internal parts of 3rd gen v. 1st/2nd gen), but I believe the biggest difference between them is the slightly larger cylinder on the Uberti spec guns. But some of the late USFA guns used Colt spec cylinder dimensions, so if Standard is actually using the USFA tooling, as has been speculated by some, perhaps they are using the Colt specs of the later guns. I guess we won't know for sure until some of the guns are in the hands of some of our forum members.

Love to hear what kooz has to say after he receives his.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I know there are some very minor differences in some of the internal parts of the USFA/Uberti guns as compared to Colt (there are also differences between the internal parts of 3rd gen v. 1st/2nd gen), but I believe the biggest difference between them is the slightly larger cylinder on the Uberti spec guns. But some of the late USFA guns used Colt spec cylinder dimensions, so if Standard is actually using the USFA tooling, as has been speculated by some, perhaps they are using the Colt specs of the later guns. I guess we won't know for sure until some of the guns are in the hands of some of our forum members.

Love to hear what kooz has to say after he receives his.

Best regards,
No USFA, to my knowledge, ever used colt specs for their cylinders. They are all uberti specs

1 - 20 of 157 Posts