Colt Forum banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Much fuss over nothing.
What difference does it make?

I told you long before it came out that it wouldn't be a direct repro of any Colt generation, it's not intended to be.

If it's a hi-quality single-action in a Colt-pattern gun, it'll have to stand on its own.
Give it time to do that.
Denis
Bingo!! Much ado about nothing. Buy it or reject it on its own merits. I, for one, am glad to see it come to the marketplace.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes Sir. Their "design" straight off the original Italian and then USFA CNC programs. Give me a break. Hard to hide that sort of basic chit.[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
They're using USFA's CNC programs?? Is this fact based information or forum drama?

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Something else I just noticed about this gun after shooting it today is that the hammer is perfectly aligned in the frame with no sideplay, so no scratches on the side of the hammer …..yes!
does the revolver have 4 clicks like a "Colt SAA" or 3 clicks like some clones?

what was lead time when you ordered?

·
Registered
93 Posts
It is a traditional colt style action that has the 4-clicks . I had put a deposit on one before they were ready, so got one of the first batch I guess. I do not know what current lead time is .

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Cholla said:
They're using USFA's CNC programs?? Is this fact based information or forum drama?
The Standard guns are in fact by their own admission Uberti sized guns. Uberti has a complete CNC program to make their guns. You think USFA wrote a totally new program to Uberti spec? Or did USFA take Uberti's CNC program (not like we have never hear "100% made in America, Lifetime warranty") and start making tweaks to the program to get better guns. As USFA progressed their guns got better. Way better than when they started if you kept track. Now 7 or 8 years later Uberti guns are a lot....as in damn near perfect copies in form and function of the best USFA guns. Again, if one were keeping track.

Standard shows up with guns that have all the tell tale signs of being USFA guns. Not talking labor here but the actual parts and machining I can see. Good on them. Just don't tell me they are "a new design". I have no problem with another USA made Uberti gun. Like most here I thought the USFA guns were over priced early on. Their old retail seems like a bargain today.

Standard might be the best thing since sliced bread. But it is still sliced bread.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Yes Sir. Their "design" straight off the original Italian and then USFA CNC programs. Give me a break. Hard to hide that sort of basic chit.[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
Well me thinks that after Bill Ruger designed the Blackhawk which had some improvements over the original Colt, that all itinerations of a single action revolver have been tried.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Guns and Ammo did a review of an engraved and checkered Standard SAA:
Review: Standard Manufacturing SA Revolver Engraved - Guns & Ammo

The article is from 18 June 2018, and I note it says "The entry level version of this revolver is offered at $1,595." I think Standard is doing the normal "price them very high at first to get the heavy breathers" tactic.
Say it aint so but their high end shot guns are known for laser engraving. The engraving looks odd to me. Is this lazer?

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Really doesn't matter...since this is a prototype ....I'm sure their current hand engraving that they are producing now ...is just that....anymore shade that you would like to throw on the Standard ? we are all here to learn...

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
tonyxit said:
....I'm sure their current hand engraving that they are producing now ...is just that....anymore shade that you would like to throw on the Standard ? we are all here to learn...
You are doing better than I obviously. I got really interested in the 7.5 gun on Gun broker. I thought I was pretty squared away telling the difference between hand and something else. I can't tell from these photos either way. But the price is not reflective of quality hand engraving. $1800 for the gun and $1450 for C engraving (typically $2500 on a deal) and a free pair of $300 grips? The numbers simply didn't add up. Gun is still there. Which made me wonder, hand engraved or enhanced? I don't know. Deal of the century on that gun @ $3250. if it is hand engraved.

In the world of high end shot guns not everything is hand engraved. Just trying to check things out as best I can. Not trying to throw any shade. Actually trying to shed some light on what I might want to buy. After what I consider the USFA debacle and all their clearly false advertising I thought it worth checking out "all" the claims. I have no dog in the fight past wanting to know what I am buying.

https://connecticutshotgun.com/

I own a nice shot gun and like the engraving but it isn't hand done nor did I pay a hand engraved price for it. I also own a laser engraved Pietta and for the price of $600 I thought it a more than fair value. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
This thread seems to have died a bit over a year ago. Any other folks here who have purchased Standard and thoughts vs USFA?

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
I have one Standard and a number of USFA and Colt guns.

Plus? Standard is still in business.

Plus? You can still buy some really nice USFA guns for similar or less money.

Plus? The size, physical size, of a Colt. (which most won't notice or care about) Sadly Colt comes up lacking, in every other category, within my collection's examples.

Me? I like the details on a USFA gun that Standard doesn't offer. Some will never notice or won't care. I also still like the smaller Colt guns. But a Colt "done right" these days can be eye watering expensive to get those same details that USFA made part of production early on. Standard has yet to go there.

details....

My Standard shoots well. But no better than every USFA gun I have shot. Not fair by comparison, but I do have out of the box USFA guns that are exceptional examples shooting better than my one example from Standard.

Folks can easily invest a significant amount of money in one SAA handgun be it is a Colt, Standard or USFA. My impression is many folks consider the price point as part of the over all quality of a firearm and aren't always able to make truly fair comparisons because of it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought three Standard single actions, one in each barrel length.

All three shoot dead to point of aim with 8.0grs of Unique and the 250gr RNFP.
All three are perfectly timed and have outstanding triggers.
Fit and finish of all three is without question equal to or better than anything Colt has ever produced, in any time period.

I am well pleased with my purchase.

I don't give a hoot about any size differences, or any of the other nitpicking issues the unwashed critics have.

·
Registered
413 Posts
After seeing one in person and rewatching the Hickock45 video, I have mixed emotions about the clear coat finish over the color case. It looks wet and at some angles, not smooth. But if it protects and preserves the color case, than I guess the effort is worth it.

https://youtu.be/ZQ-NXfwAPsI

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
After seeing one in person and rewatching the Hickock45 video, I have mixed emotions about the clear coat finish over the color case. It looks wet and at some angles, not smooth. But if it protects and preserves the color case, than I guess the effort is worth it.

https://youtu.be/ZQ-NXfwAPsI
To me it looks just like Turnbull and also AWA. Some people don't like that look. I personally do. I wonder if it protects against fading over the years, assuming you're careful cleaning not to use chemicals that will take it off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My clear coat came off when I cleaned the gun . I was using Montana bore solvent . I can't stand the clear coat myself, so no big deal . I removed the rest with denatured alcohol .

141 - 157 of 157 Posts