Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote an email a few days ago about availability of the new Single Action that was announced a couple of years ago at the SHOT Show. It was a nice surprise when I received a fairly quick response, although a bit of a snarky one..in a nutshell, he said they are making them now. They got a large order and are working on that. Now for the, what I think was a bit rude to say to a customer, "If you need it right away, there are many other people making them." Maybe I am just too sensitive, but I have been working with the public at their best and worst times for over 40 years and would never say that to a customer.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
I dunno, it sounds like the plain truth to me. I had a friend that was a bit rough like that. When someone called him on being too brazen I heard him simply answer, "Whats the matter, does the truth hurt?"

·
Premium Member
7,338 Posts
I don't remember Standard having it at last years SHOT show, but they did at this years show... which was many months ago. The single action was video featured by Jeff Quin of Gunblast And he interviewed Standard Manufacturing in which they showcased the gun.

For comparison, Colt featured the Colt Cobra at SHOT and they've even managed to get some out the door by now. :)

The only talk since then has been inquiries on this forum in which a few of our members that may be "in the know" have hinted to not hold your breathe on the gun.
I don't know if they're really making it or not... but two things-

1. They're is no other USA parts made single action clone being built currently- certainly not several. So choices are slim and slim just left town. Either an Itailain clone, or a Colt SAA is the choices for a truly newly built gun, the latter being hard to find and expensive.
2. A recommendation from a company to look elsewhere is a good indication they're not really making the gun OR they don't give a rat ...leading his donkey ... about their customers.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Be nice to have a another choice. We all are well aware of the related problems from different times or current @ Colt, Cimarron, Pietta and Uberti or from the past USPFA/USFA guns.

Here is the current production Standard from their web site. Which is way better than the 5.5" gun they showed earlier. Some really nice detailing on this gun (beveled trigger guard, checkered hammer, tapered ejector rod housing, and fit and finish are good examples of "great") but other areas look like they are straight from earlier Ubertis and nothing I would want. Not sure I'd be willing to start all over again with an unknown Company in the SAA arena with an example like this. YMMV.

The more I look at this gun the more it reminds me of the earliest Uberti guns (not saying it is a Uberti) built and fininished by USPFA. Looking at this gun also makes me think someone who really knew what they were doing designed and built the frame and major parts and then left the project to someone else to finish. As the barrel and sights clearly don't fit the frame. Someone made a rather glaring error there and still followed through building the gun from inappropriate and undesirable parts.

Lots right here..but some glaring errors that tell me Standard has no clue WTF they are doing. Like the last 5.5" gun with the front sight improperly placed. On this gun? Tapered narrow front sight and a square notch rear. How about a two line barrel address for a 4 3/4"? A proper Colt shaped front sight? Instead it is a butt ugly early Uberti 45 front sight. It is clear to me no one is shooting a SAA at Standard. These are still suppose to be legitimate firearms right? If you are looking to better Colt or something to compare to the best USFA guns, to date, this isn't it.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Be nice to have a another choice. We all are well aware of the related problems from different times or current @ Colt, Cimarron, Pietta and Uberti or from the past USPFA/USFA guns.

Here is the current production Standard from their web site. Which is way better than the 5.5" gun they showed earlier. Some really nice detailing on this gun (beveled trigger guard, checkered hammer, tapered ejector rod housing, and fit and finish are good examples of "great") but other areas look like they are straight from earlier Ubertis and nothing I would want. Not sure I'd be willing to start all over again with an unknown Company in the SAA arena with an example like this. YMMV.

The more I look at this gun the more it reminds me of the earliest Uberti guns (not saying it is a Uberti) built and fininished by USPFA. Looking at this gun also makes me think someone who really knew what they were doing designed and built the frame and major parts and then left the project to someone else to finish. As the barrel and sights clearly don't fit the frame. Someone made a rather glaring error there and still followed through building the gun from inappropriate and undesirable parts.

Lots right here..but some glaring errors that tell me Standard has no clue WTF they are doing. Like the last 5.5" gun with the front sight improperly placed. On this gun? Tapered narrow front sight and a square notch rear. How about a two line barrel address for a 4 3/4"? A proper Colt shaped front sight and while you are at it a properly sized front sight for each caliber. This is a 38 by the barrel roll mark and a butt ugly early Uberti 45 front sight. It is clear to me no one is shooting a SAA at Standard. These are still suppose to be legitimate firearms right? If you are looking to better Colt or something to compare to the best USFA guns, to date, this isn't it.

I don't fully understand what you are saying. Other than the front sight what are the other "inappropriate and undesirable parts" that you say they are using?

Best regards,

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Monsai said:
I don't fully understand what you are saying. Other than the front sight what are the other "inappropriate and undesirable parts" that you say they are using?
I have no clue who's parts they are using. Just going from their pictures. Here is what I see in the photos. Front sight is the same shape as a early Uberti. Same front sight that makes it easy way to identify Uberti parts guns built at USPFA and USFA. Front sight is a narrow and tapered BP type that should be mated to a V notch rear. The frame pictured has a square notch rear sight. So "other than the front sight" covers a lot of things wrong with this gun/production IMO besides "just the front sight". When I see a front sight and then a caliber roll mark that looks suspiciously like a Uberti roll mark and not anything similar to their single line barrel address I wonder where the barrel came from. Once I start wondering who made the barrel and in what country I start wondering what was made in the USA (not that it matters). But I already own Uberti and Pietta guns. None of them cost me $1500.

"Under the blue dome" was a complete sham first time around built on Uberti parts. They did end up building some really nice guns. Some of the best SAA ever made I think. But they didn't start out building some of the best they started out building fancy Ubertis at inflated prices based on a fabricated story. I have no doubt they were the best Ubertis ever built but still just a Uberti.

So..call me cynical if you like but I'll believe it (high quality SAA built 100% in the USA) when I see a Standard SAA at my local dealer.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I've had a slot reserved with an editor for a review article on the gun for quite a while now.
I just got off the phone with a nice lady at Standard.

No clue on introduction or availability.
"Probably next year."
Denis

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
DPris said:
I just got off the phone with a nice lady at Standard.
No clue on introduction or availability.
"Probably next year."

"Preproduction samples made one at a time from parts available?"...makes perfect sense. Lots of room to improve over the next year or two.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
"I'll believe it (high quality SAA built 100% in the USA) when I see a Standard SAA at my local dealer."

Yep, me to..

I wish somebody would do it-

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Is that a Rampant Colt on the frame or a rampant monkey? I can't tell for sure. If it's a Rampant Colt, would that be a Colt frame or are they using Colt's trademark?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
And just look at this...they make "Flamethrowers"... :rolleyes:

XM42 Flamethrower - Standard Mfg. Co. LLC

$1,100.00

MUST BE 18 AND OVER FOR PURCHASE NO FFL REQUIRED!!!

Revived from its first prototype in 2008, a spectacular product that’s been undergoing continuous improvement since its inception. The XM42 is the world’s first fully handheld flamethrower on the market.

Blast stunning visuals of fire over 25 feet!

Use for weed control, clearing snow, starting your bonfire or just for fun!

Precision crafted and manufactured in the USA.

No heavy pressurized tanks to worry about. Just fill it up like a lawnmower, ignite the pilot torch, and reach out with a powerful stream of fire!

The XM42's innovative system is revolutionizing flamethrower functionality as we know it.

Specs:

Weight: 7.4 lb (empty) / 10.4 lb (ready to run)
Overall Dimensions: 29.5" L x 10" W x 14.25" H
Materials: All aluminum/stainless steel construction with fluoroelastomer seals
Fuel Capacity: 1.5 liters
Approved/Recommended Fuel: Gasoline (unleaded), gasoline-diesel mixture, denatured alcohol
Pilot Ignition: Push button piezo start
Pilot Torch Fuel: Butane (not included, see "Required Accessories" tab)
Battery: 12.6 volt (3S) lithium-polymer 2200mAh with XT60 connector (included)

What's in the box:

XM42 flamethrower
12.6 volt (3S) lithium-polymer 2200mAh battery (installed)
Quick voltage tester
Balance charger (100-240V AC, US plug)

Practical Uses:

Clearing snow/ice
Eliminating weeds between pavement cracks
Controlled burns/ground-clearing of foliage/agricultural
Insect control
Pyrotechnic event displays
Bonfire starting
A fun device to enjoy with friends

Required Accessories:

Pilot Torch Fuel: A butane fuel canister feeds the pilot torch. Not included but Available everywhere, outdoor/sporting goods stores, and online retailers such as Amazon. The kitchen style butane canisters are also available at most restaurant supply stores.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Is that a Rampant Colt on the frame or a rampant monkey? I can't tell for sure. If it's a Rampant Colt, would that be a Colt frame or are they using Colt's trademark?
I might be interested in the rampant monkey! That would be a unique roll mark for a SAA. Still won't pay 1500 for it though...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.