Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to collect and shoot. Now I realize that if I acquire any pristine pieces, I won't shoot them. Without going completely over the top, what is recommend as "must haves" in regards to shooters, incredible action and polished finish, and/or just gotta have collectible? Except for my Pythons, should I just focus on pre-war? After reading peoples' thoughts on Golden Era, are there model-specific years upon which I should focus?

Is there any general consensus? Any previous threads/polls that I've missed?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
As with any collection, the best advice people will give you is simple; collect what you like. Whether this be guns, Colt's specifically, cars, teapots, what have you, gather what pleases you. Don't collect what someone, or everyone collects, buy what turns you on.

Everything you named is fine, Pythons, pre-war, and anything in between are great ways to enjoy the hobby of collecting and shooting. :D

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Exactly...

What interests you most? What aspect?

Value in the marketplace?

Investment?

Design/engineering?

Historical significance of a design or Model, and the Romance it may have?

Shooting as such? And if so, what kind? Combat Shooting? Casual Target 'plinking'? Mid level or high level Marksmanship? Bulls Eye Shooting?

Which ever it is which interests you most, which ever part has the most 'energy' for you...then, I would say, that is the direction to go.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Absolutely excellent advice. I sell fine art for a living, with my tastes running toward highly detailed realism. Most people who walk in my door already have that leaning and I always, and I mean always tell them to buy what speaks to them. However, they often ask me to help them understand the virtues they are drawn to. They use my decades of experience to confirm their purchases. And I do have my favorites based on underlying elements not always apparent to beginning collectors.

By the way, have you been tracking Ming teapots prices lately? Untouchable!

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great breakdown. It will be casual shooting and I don't plan to carry any of these. For these purposes I would appreciate the excellent engineered action and balance. I would imagine that the historically significant, value and investment grade might go hand in hand, but maybe not.

I would also like some for collecting only based on design and finishing - which I realize are highly subjective.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hey Attitude, your first statement is "collect and shoot". Might want to consider if that is one objective or two. Each could carry you in different directions.
i.e., You probably would not boil tea in a Ming teapot. (Grin)
Elsewhere on this site, I think in the Lounge, is a very educational (and opinioned) thread about informed shooters "Top 10". Hold in mind they might not be your top 10 but reading rational for a particular gun I found to be informative.
So...my suggestion is that you should start with choices in the 97% to 98% range and shoot them to determine if they are "special" to you -- or not.
Most Colts in that condition will typically appreciate in value so it leaves you a "get out" option if you don't like it. If you do like it, you have yourself a fine shooter. THEN decide if that model is special enough to you to pay 4 times the price for your pristine perhaps unfired model. Then you are a collector.
Good luck. Your professional background will serve you well.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you - sounds like a plan. I will also keep following this excellent forum to keep "discovering"

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Collect what you like, but never limit yourself or get tunnel vision to just one aspect of collecting. Pastime, Investment, whatever,, the bottom line is collect what you like or your collecting will be short lived. Just like a career, a career is only successful if you like it.

I collect based on condition first and foremost, I like new in the box perfect guns of years gone by that's what I primarily collect. This part of my collection offers no compromise. I do not have any guns in this part of my collection that are less than perfect. I don't collect 99%, I collect perfect. These guns are never/rarely handled and preserved under optimal conditions. These guns never see ammunition.

I also collect graded Browning Superposed shotguns of which many I shoot.

I also collect high end 1911's of which many I shoot.

I collect hunting guns that I hunt with,, I have beat up 870's and 1100's just like everybody else.

I collect what I like.

When you limit your collecting because someone tells you what you need to collect,,, you need find another hobby. I buy and sell guns on a daily basis. I tell people buy what you like even if you pay a little too much but are happy at the end of the day that's what counts, but if a certain gun is not in your heart you will never be happy regardless of a bargain price. Don't skimp,, buy condition and buy quality you will never regret it.

John Fugate

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I have to agree with the older Officer Model Matches and Target. These are usually very fine shooting revolvers, but the prices are edging up on these babies also. I passed on several in.22 in the past. I just recently picked one up, but I could have bought 2 of the ones i passed up years ago for the same money!! LOL - That will teach me to procrastinate !

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I have to agree with the older Officer Model Matches and Target. These are usually very fine shooting revolvers, but the prices are edging up on these babies also. I passed on several in.22 in the past. I just recently picked one up, but I could have bought 2 of the ones i passed up years ago for the same money!! LOL - That will teach me to procrastinate !
Lots of value for the money especially when k-22's are bringing a grand.

John

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
An eclectic assortment can be a way to find what appeals to your sensibilities. I have a mish-mash of various hardware that many might consider to be landfill. There are a few nice ones. No attempt was ever made to secure any particular line or model or year; just some old iron that has appeal.
There are some true war relics in there as well, and some that are there just because of what they are from a technical engineering perspective. There are some that will see limited use, and a Luger that won't get shot unless I can replace the small numbered breakable parts with non-matching bits first. And there are ones that will have the livin' daylights shot outa them pretty regularly.
My plan is to keep buyin' what I can when I can afford it, and stay with the varitey idea.
There are several Colts on my bucket list, but I don't need to be in a rush.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gun Firearm Trigger Handgun holster Gun accessory
I want to collect and shoot. Now I realize that if I acquire any pristine pieces, I won't shoot them. Without going completely over the top, what is recommend as "must haves" in regards to shooters, incredible action and polished finish, and/or just gotta have collectible? Except for my Pythons, should I just focus on pre-war? After reading peoples' thoughts on Golden Era, are there model-specific years upon which I should focus?

Is there any general consensus? Any previous threads/polls that I've missed?

Thanks!
Hi,
Maybe you'd like this one as much as I do. I don't want to but i have to sell...
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/photos-area/65616-what-worth.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts