Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to decide to take a chance on a 1881 BP Frame SAA with a "S" above the serial number where the inspection mark should be and a unmarked barrel that supposedly shoots the 5 in 1 blanks.

Any experience, advice or value on these?

Thank You

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
If it's a 'Stembridge' piece, then it was rode hard and put up wet, so internally, it'll need rebuilding in order to make it both safe as well as functional - plus, it's 'probably' already a parts gun, so you need to understand 'why' you want to own it - movie nostalgia, or other reasons - and then decide on how much you'll have tied to something like this, because you'll put more into it than it's worth, trying to turn it into something 'collectable'.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have 4 Stembridge Colt SAA's and they vary from an all matching Ainsworth Cavalry to a mismatched, reblued, 7 1/2" with US frame. All of them have been mechanically okay, I guess they had to keep them working in order to rent them out. Very seldom will they come with any paperwork as to the movie/TV production they may have been used in. This research is available on a limited basis but it is similar to a Colt letter, it can cost $$$ to get copies of rental invoices if they exist. I have a few invoices on some of my guns which show the movie or TV show they were used in. Regarding value, the Stembridge identification does not add any value unless it comes with an invoice to True Grit or another popular production like Gunsmoke, etc. Value should be based on the merits of the gun and sometimes the Stembridge guns can be pretty rough. Many Colt SAA collectors that have enjoyed the old Western Movies and TV shows as a kid, enjoy sitting in their recliners watching reruns these days with one of their Colts in their hand. I just enjoy watching the TV show "The Rebel" with Nick Adams knowing that my gun was used in the show!

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I bought a Colt SAA revolver from a friend of mine with an "E" stamped in several places. I had no idea what the "E" was for at the time, but the price was good and the revolver looked good. It is an 1882, all matching .44-40 Frontier Six Shooter with the etched panel. The finish was gone but that is normal and action was decent. I sent it to Jim Martin for an action job and now it is perfect. I found out from the guys here that it was an Ellis Props & Graphics rental at one time. The good part is it all matching and still has the original worn Eagle Grips.

I wish I could find out what movies and/or what actor used this revolver!

IMG_1357.JPG IMG_1364.JPG

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Years ago a local antique shop had a few Colt SAAs with an E stamp. The Stembridge gun I would like to own is one that was sold some years back. Steve McQueen's from the Magnificent Seven.
I'd take that, also certainly his snubby Diamondback from "Bullitt"

·
Registered
11 Posts
I collect movie props and costumes, so it follows I would also seek and appreciate Stembridge guns. I have owned several in the past, most with actual rental receipts or paperwork from Al Frisch. Little John sold the Petersen Museum collection in 2007, which was the bulk of the movie and TV used weapons, and I look for those resales. Many were unidentified or misidentified, making it interesting in locating them. They sold one pistol that was alleged to have been from the LONE RANGER, but was Gregory Peck's from HOW THE WEST WAS WON and later seen in THE WILD WILD WEST, once the receipts were sourced. Another, was a Colt New Service revolver with a custom 19 inch barrel, and a braised on backstrap lug to hold a stock. They attributed it to the BATMAN movie of 1989. Further research found it was the gun used by Roy Rogers in SON OF PALEFACE that is hidden in his guitar.
Roy Son Of Paleface.PNG

I'm sure there are other pieces yet to be discovered that will prove to be treasures. For me, they are wall hangers or case dwellers. Most were modified to handle Stembridge's 5 in One blanks, so mechanical action is not a priority. Some have histories; Ben Cartwright's first Peacemaker was #6007, a Custer Era US delivered gun, which was sent to the 5th Calvary and went north, after Little Big Horn, to chase the Nez Perce Indians under Gen. Howard. So, yes, some of them are trashed, cannibalized or worn out, but many have seen illustrious service on and off the screen.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So very nice...

Have you tied it to any film use or had any luck running the serial number?

rick
Well, Ive got the S&W history letter along with a detailed inspection letter by Jim Supica with the past owners provenance but nothing in the line of what films it may have been in....How would one go about finding that info?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Send me the serial number, if you like, and I can forward it to one of the fellows that has the better part of the records. There are gaps, but they cover basically 1955 to 1980; anything after that, Syd Stembridge has those, but I am not sure he welcomes inquiries. If, you spotted it in a later film he might, for a charge, look at that film's receipts and provide a copy.

The guy who has the records has, in the past for me, confirmed usage, good or minor, but does charge $300 for copies of the receipts if you've got a winner. A little worse than a factory letter. A quick glance on the IMFD shows some good film appearances of a Schofield.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Send me the serial number, if you like, and I can forward it to one of the fellows that has the better part of the records. There are gaps, but they cover basically 1955 to 1980; anything after that, Syd Stembridge has those, but I am not sure he welcomes inquiries. If, you spotted it in a later film he might, for a charge, look at that film's receipts and provide a copy.

The guy who has the records has, in the past for me, confirmed usage, good or minor, but does charge $300 for copies of the receipts if you've got a winner. A little worse than a factory letter. A quick glance on the IMFD shows some good film appearances of a Schofield.
S# 4403

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, Ive got the S&W history letter along with a detailed inspection letter by Jim Supica with the past owners provenance but nothing in the line of what films it may have been in....How would one go about finding that info?
Did you try to narrow it down by using IMFDB?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts