Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just might be my favorite film fast draw scene of all time. I like it because it was the first time I saw this strange rig (Andy Anderson W&D) and that McQueen had the confidence to use a long barreled gun that he handles so well. And like Shane, I like the gun sticking out the bottom of the holster.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,734 Posts
There are at least two pictures of McQueen holding that revolver, one much better is him sitting on a couch aiming it.
The gun is a H&R .22, not a Colt.

Among the famous fast guns in Hollywood, several of the movie fast draw teachers said the best of them all was Audie Murphy.
They also said that unlike the others, Murphy was just as good with live ammo.
He was scary fast and accurate, once amazing and somewhat frighting a movie crew on a desert set between takes by drawing and shooting at cactus' and rocks with his personal Colt's.
They said that for the first time they really understood why Murphy was able to win all the medals.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I was fast too when I was 26 years old, and I bet when I was 26 and if I had his money plus a Ferrari and a Porsche I could catch up to any good looking babe in Hollywood. But,.... when I was 26 I was broke most of the time and drove a 1951 ford which was old and wore out when I got it.

The tag on his Porsche exp. in 56, he was born 24 Mar 1930.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was fast too when I was 26 years old, and I bet when I was 26 and if I had his money plus a Ferrari and a Porsche I could catch up to any good looking babe in Hollywood. But,.... when I was 26 I was broke most of the time and drove a 1951 ford which was old and wore out when I got it.

When I was 26 I was so poor I had to boil used dental floss to make soup.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Some of the "OLD TIMERS" that were really good both on & off camera were Tim McCoy,Randolph Scott , Gary Cooper, Glen Ford & Hoot Gibson & w/out the advantage of a fast draw holster.Tim McCoy once counted the frames on a roll of film from when his hand started moving until he fired it,it timed .25 of a 2nd.Gary Cooper standing on the boardwalk in High Noon pulls off a fantastic thumbing double shot that anybody would be proud of.Clark Gable & Gary Cooper competed in trap & skeet shooting & you'll never believe who used to out shoot both of them,Coopers wife.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
"when I was 26 I was broke most of the time and drove a 1951 ford which was old and wore out when I got it."

My first car was a Studebaker station wagon with aircon- it had a hole in the floor- paid $12.00 dollars for it. lol.

"Murphy was just as good with live ammo.He was scary fast and accurate, once amazing and somewhat frighting a movie crew on a desert set between takes by drawing and shooting at cactus' and rocks with his personal Colt's. "

Here some info about one of Audie Murphy's Colts

"The Buffalo Bill Center of the West is excited to announce that Audie Murphy’s .45 caliber Colt Model 1905 Bisley Flattop target revolver—a gift from western film legend Gary Cooper—is now on display in its Cody Firearms Museum. Dr. Jim and Marilyn Phillips of Bakersfield, California, have generously loaned the firearm to the Center for a period of one year"

"Cooper even had a mold taken so the gun would perfectly fit Murphy’s hand "

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
All the California plates issued between '56 and '62 were stamped '56. If you look closely you can see the validation sticker between California and 56. It looks like it might be 1961.

One of greatest cars McQueen owned was his 1957 Jaguar XK-SS, basically a road going "D" type Jag.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
View attachment 703881

Here some info about one of Audie Murphy's Colts

View attachment 703882

"The Buffalo Bill Center of the West is excited to announce that Audie Murphy’s .45 caliber Colt Model 1905 Bisley Flattop target revolver—a gift from western film legend Gary Cooper—is now on display in its Cody Firearms Museum. Dr. Jim and Marilyn Phillips of Bakersfield, California, have generously loaned the firearm to the Center for a period of one year"

"Cooper even had a mold taken so the gun would perfectly fit Murphy’s hand "
That's a wonderful and significant Bisley but the Buffalo Bill Center got it wrong, it's not a Flat Top Target, but a standard frame bisley modified with target sights.

Best regards,

·
Registered
161 Posts
There are at least two pictures of McQueen holding that revolver, one much better is him sitting on a couch aiming it.
The gun is a H&R .22, not a Colt.
Those H&R 22s were amazingly accurate and reliable, fantastic guns.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I forgot to mention how good Gabby Hayes was w/a SA,he could do some impressive fancy gun handling,I always wondered why he wasn't filmed more doing it he was very good.
After you told me he was good at it I saw a scene where he spun his gun into that ratty old holster he purposely wore for the character and he was good. They couldn’t have the sidekick doing fancy gun handling when the “hero” wasn’t up to doing it. Except if he was Johnny Mack Brown’s sidekick. He’s the only B western guy I recall who actually did serious gun spinning and he was great.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
McQueen was on the so called "death list" of celebrities that was put together by Charles Manson and his gang. He was to go to a party at Sharon Tate's home the night she and the others were murdered but ended up spending the night with one of his girlfriends instead. He had had a concealed carry permit issued in Riverside County, CA that covered his occasional home in Palm Springs and renewed it after he found out he was on the Manson list.

·
Registered
7,177 Posts
All the California plates issued between '56 and '62 were stamped '56. If you look closely you can see the validation sticker between California and 56. It looks like it might be 1961.
One of greatest cars McQueen owned was his 1957 Jaguar XK-SS, basically a road going "D" type Jag.
Best regards,

Yes Sir...in British Racing Green

·
Registered
9,436 Posts
When McQueen was offered the role in "The Magnificent Seven" he was first not able to accept because of his contract with "Wanted Dead or Alive" forbid outside work. His contract also had a clause he didn't have to work if injured...so he took a rented car, staged a crash and wore a neck brace. Production of the TV show shut down for him to recuperate and he reported to the set of the movie. I'm guessing there was some money changing hands to a doctor to sign off on his "injuries".

1 - 20 of 34 Posts