Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 8 months ago I started a thread about coping with the virus which did start a lot of conversations. Just wondering how we are doing today? For me the forum has been one of my lifelines, sharing with other Colt enthusiasts as I suffer from gun show withdrawal. I have made a couple of acquisitions from auctions but I do miss getting together with my friends in person. The cancellation of the Las Vegas show was a major disappointment and now I am trying to set up some show and tell zoom meetings with other collectors.

Jim

·
Registered
267 Posts
what virus? our shop let about 40% of the crew go early so the folks left ended up working extra to make up for the lack of employees. I still shop yard sales every weekend not working, if not working, fixing stuff on my house, kids house. Kids got a toy hauler, so weekends we go meet up and drag out the honda three wheelers or we go shooting. Then there's fixing up the hotrods, guns, three wheelers. So luckily I've pretty much ignored the self isolation. jim

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I go out in public every day, only wear a mask when it’s required to enter a business. I’m actually getting tired of seeing my fellow Americans living in fear and the same being promoted by our “betters”.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Theres not much of a change for me and the wife. We never stopped working. (over the road truck drivers). Truck stops require masks in some states, Restuarants in Truck stops are basically closed for sit in meals. Not a biggie, expensive, bad food anymore, old coffee over $2 a cup. My wife cans so we bring all our own food out with us and make coffee in the truck. We do 26 days out 6 days home. As far as home time goes, We live in the boondocks. I'm remodeling the house for our upcoming retirement. We have a small farm to take care of. I have a small cabinet shop in our basement. Wife does her crafts and canning. Then there is some hunting, fishing, reloading and shooting that needs to be done. We dont get alot of visitors and the neighbors are not close. After being on the road for 26 days we only go out for what we can't get delivered. We don't want to go out lol. For us, The sun rises, The sun still sets. Yes we know how lucky we are. God Bless those less fortunate.

·
Premium Member
19,572 Posts
On a positive note, I believe that the rapid development of a Covid-19 vaccine that has been accomplished by a joint industry/government venture will turn out to be one of the major life saving accomplishments of our lifetime. That activity should certainly be considered for a Nobel Prize in Medicine.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
PRC is locked down pretty hard but people are coping- some wear a mask everywhere some don't. Dark winter day light savings time and the wuhan virus 2.0 hit at the same time, a drag- had limited indoor seating at local coffee shop was able to go in there and slurp black coffee and read book lasted about three weeks. Cute coffee girls had misty eyes when they told me its verboton again. "we knew you would hate that" lol.

Do as I say not as I do- is no fun and people are very tired of it.

If you are retired older devil seems like you are lucky, younger people are having a hard time with the shutdowns lost of work and sudden lack of social activity.

I wear a bandana mask like Jesse James when I have to, try to think of it like playing cowboy as a kid, make a joke out of it, have hand sanitizer in my jacket but forget to use it.

Wife is still working but in a pretty safe area- works at home partly.

The damn wuhan virus is deadly but sometimes forget about it worried about friends I have in the hospital they don't have it but in there you are very much at risk. Had some medical work cancelled by hospital in first wave putting it off for now.

The virus vaccine effort by the government was heroic imo, hope it works well, is safe and all that want it get it fast.

Every one stay safe- wish all the best.

This too will pass.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks for the warning .We are doing sort of ok but the virus is here on our island for sure . Masked up and about 22 active cases , population 8500 .Local brewery closed , bummer. No roads in or out . Interesting year for sure . Take care , be safe .
Politics removed out of respect to the op .

Attn:

The topic is , "how are you doing ?" .

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm absolutely astonished I haven't been infected with the Covid-19 virus. Simply amazed. I mostly ignored it (and the news about it) when the pandemic was in its early stages. I wasn't among those who thought it was a hoax or some sort of conspiracy or biological warfare. I just figured it'd run its course in a month or two. When the virus started becoming more and more prevalent on a weekly basis, I still didn't wear a mask unless it was totally required. I didn't disinfect everything I touched. Didn't wash my hands for x-number of minutes after coming home from a store or something. I freely admit I was just blasé the whole thing. More or less ambivalent. About the only serious action I took was to keep my distance from people when out in public. All that's changed. I do wear a mask 98% of the time I'm away from the house now. I'm careful about what surfaces I touch when I'm out. It finally dawned on me that I'm remarkably healthy for someone my age, and it'd be nice to stay that way. So...long story short, I'm doing fine. If anyone's interested.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'm retired and live in a rural area so the only time I wear a mask is when I go to a business or grocery store. When they closed the gyms it really didn't bother me as I have my own gym in the basement along with my gun room, reloading room, model train layout and TV. I play golf when the weather allows and ride my bicycles (I restore old Schwinns).
I read a lot, usually a book a week from the library. I do miss the gun shows but have bought a few on line with my FFL.
I also have my own range out back, love to cook and have a nice liqueur cabinet, wine rack and cigar humidor closet.
My dear wife is a administrator at a major hospital in Detroit and says the numbers are going up fast. Luckily she does not have to go on the floors where the patients are. You might call me a prepper and a bit of a loner.

·
Registered
7,398 Posts
Life is decent here for the most part. But we don't have to go very far or very often. Masks when we get out of the car off the property. Hand scrub when back in the car. No panic but sure don't want any of us to have to deal with it either. A few in the extended family have tested positive. But thankfully all in the low risk age groups. 90K plus here infected. In the state new cases @ 1000+ per day, getting worse, more likely 1500 a day recently and 849 dead as of today. Be nice when we all are finally on the down hill slope of this.

But there are some here who are really paying a high price in many different ways because of Covid. Thankfully for the moment, at least it isn't us. Bright side is more quality time on the forum (y)

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
It appears my post was removed for political content. My apologies, no excuses.
We are doing fine here, wearing masks when necessary or required. I am a retired school teacher and still know quite a few who are still there. Number 1 son is a teacher and my wife is a school nurse at a Title 1 school. So far we are all good.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
It appears my post was removed for political content. My apologies, no excuses.
We are doing fine here, wearing masks when necessary or required. I am a retired school teacher and still know quite a few who are still there. Number 1 son is a teacher and my wife is a school nurse at a Title 1 school. So far we are all good.
Mine was also removed. I guess that real sentiment is not acceptable anymore. This country is on a collision course with disaster -- I can just feel it. I think that most everyone else does too.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I am doing well and am very fortunate. Lost my job in March due to COVID but finally landed back on my feet in late June (just in the nick of time to get health insurance before my son was born). I am a pilot and the aviation industry was absolutely obliterated. Fortunately, I was able to find work flying organs for transplant patients. As much as I wish things would be different I am very grateful to have a healthy boy, healthy wife and a job. I’m glad to hear the other members on this forum are doing well also.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
We are doing ok,though this isolation is tough. I take care of my 90 yr old mom,who is still fairly healthy. I had a stroke at the end of January which I’ve adapted to,though I won’t be skiing snowshoeing or hiking up high anymore. Learned a few months ago that I have a congenital heart condition that isn’t fixable and will bite me maybe sooner than later,so we are being careful.I’m looking forward to getting together with my kids next summer after we get past this.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Wife in 8th year of dementia, was reviewing memory care facilities in March when COVID-19 restrictions hit our area of VA. It's been confining/stressful for both of us but so far have coped with it. Not sure how much longer I can, really hoping the vaccine will be available to us (and others) soon.
Dennis

·
Registered
256 Posts
AZ hit over 7k new cases today, over half in my zip code! Been sick over a week and thought I had it. Test came back today, negative. Doing tests 24/7 and let you know via email! So what the he** do I have? Should have got flu shot first of month.
Stay safe
God Bless
Daryl

1 - 20 of 24 Posts