Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some holsters that were stored poorly and had some white mildew on them and a strong odor. Well Windex made them look great and removed the mildew but the smell remains. Anyone know how to get rid of the odor?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Friend lived on the Oregon Coast in an rv. His leather got moldy in storage and after he cleaned it up he put it in open air in a warm dry place. Took a long time for the smell to go away but it did.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had a surplus leather sling recently that reeked disgustingly and so I bathed it in a vinegar solution, then a baking soda solution, then a soapy solution and the smell seemed to stick to it and linger on once the sling was dry. I then put the sling in some of my used coffee ground ( which I usually compost ) and that finally helped to make the smell bearable.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I once bought a holster on ebay and it stunk so bad of cigarette smoke that I couldn't stand it. I now ask that question before I bid on holsters. I tried cleaning it with several types of soaps and leather cleaners, baking soda, you name it. When I finally got the smell down to the point where I had to hold it up to my nose to notice it, I sprayed it with some auto upholstery leather cleaner which smells of leather and did a good job of masking the remaining odor. Leather being as porous as it is can really retain stink !

·
Registered
484 Posts
Activated charcoal is an old tried and true way to absorb odors. Never had to remove an odor from leather but it would be an easy test to put some activated charcoal in a bag or glass container with the leather. Obviously, ensure the charcoal is contained and kept separate from the leather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts