Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock on .22 ~ 4\" ~ Diamondback

Will someone please tell me if Colt ever put a Pachmyer wrap around stock on a Diamondback directly from the factory? I have one that appears to be new and unfired in the box (ragged) but it has a Pachmyer stock. It is a 4” Blue .22.

Thanks, Chugwater

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Re: Stock on .22 ~ 4\" ~ Diamondback

I don't have a older catalog handy, but I believe they did. It would have been in the mid 80s timeframe. I have a set of those, but not on a gun.

·
Registered
170 Posts

I saw a NIB 38spec 6" blue with them on the other day.It was a very late gun.Almost at the end of production or maybe post production from parts.I have also seen them on the E Nickel guns from the custom shop.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks guys. I have no idea what the DOB is but the SN is
P751xx. Maybe someone could tell me. My guess is that's its and olderone because I've had it a long time.

Chug

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts

In my opinion, only wood stocks were offered on the Diamondback from the factory. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, Colt offered the Pachmayr stocks with the Colt medallions as an accessory. I have several sets. I believe some dealers may have occasionally removed the original wood stocks and substituted rubber "Colt" Pachmayrs.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,677 Posts

P751xx was made in 1984.
Diamondback production stopped in 1986.

The P series that year started at P7325K and the P series ended with P79999K during the year.

This was an unusual year since this is the first Colt DA revolver serial that had BOTH a prefix AND a suffix letter.

Looks like you have a fairly late Diamondback, so the rubber grips are a definite possible.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks again guys. Hey Farris, I'm confused (STILL). This "P" series shows no suffix on the gun or box. What could that mean (if anything)? I also have two other 4" 22 DB that have no suffix.

Chug

·
Registered
689 Posts

Chugwater, its always great to be spoon fed and protective... Good for you...

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts

I have one of those "P" Diamondbacks too: P353XX /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif No letter suffix.
It came with the standard wood stocks.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Ok guys' lets clear things up. There was a P series followed by a P..K series.
Chugwater your P571XX was made in 1982.

SA99054 your P353XX was made in 1981.

The P with a K suffix did not start until 1984.
HTH

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Okay DB68, I appreciate the DOB. Now can you tell us about the Packmyer grips, did the factory put any out with anything other than the standard wooden stocks?

By the way VDM , I'm not sure what ya mean by " spoon fed ".

Chug

·
Registered
324 Posts

The Diamondback is listed in the catalogs as having Walnut Stocks through 1984.
Pictured with wood, but the old "stocks not listed" through 1986.
Barely rates a mention in a chart by 1987.
And gone completely in 1988.

So no definitive answer here, but I'd guess your Diamondback should have had wood stocks. But probably by 1987 anyway, they were getting whatever was laying around.

Interestingly (or not /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif), the Python Hunter wears the rubber ones on the cover in 1981.

·
Registered
14 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
JudgeColt: In the late 1970s and early 1980s, Colt offered the Pachmayr stocks with the Colt medallions as an accessory. I have several sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Some of the e-nickel diamondbacks had pachmayr's from the factory as was said. There were some guns sold around 1990 from parts that had pachmayr grips on them with the medallions. These came in the blue plastic box and I believe they were factory original with the gun versus an accessory. I would have to dig around and I may have listed some serial number prefixes from that group of guns. My guess at the moment is that they were "P" prefixed guns.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Again thanks much guys.

I think IF I were going to sell it right now I would advertise it as " factory stocks, I think, you be the judge " and let it go at that. If someone wants to get a letter and disprove that thats fine.

Thanks guys, Chug

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

Spotted a 4" blue .38s Diamondback with Pachmayer rubber just last week. If I remember correctly serialnumber started with a P. If interested I got check up on this.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks gunsmoke but don't go to any trouble. I was only curious and it has no bearing on selling or keeping the gun. But I sure appreciate your offer.

Regards, Chug

1 - 17 of 17 Posts