Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1948 Series 2 Woodsman with the original swirled finish plastic stocks, not the later brown plastic stocks. Do these shrink with age if left off the gun? I've heard the Coltwood stocks do shrink but not sure if my originals are that Coltwood.
I have a very nice aftermarket English Walnut stocks that I want to install, but don't want the originals to shrink while in storage so they won't fit in the future.

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
The stocks on a 1948 Model S that are the highly-colored versions do not shrink like the later dull brown versions. That said, the stocks on a Model S mount with only one screw, so they will shrink whether on or off the pistol, and shrinkage will not prevent them from being reinstalled on the pistol.

Model O stocks with two screws will shrink while on or off as well, but if they shrink while on the gun, the holes in the stock panels become egg-shaped. Most shrunken Model O stocks can be heated and stretched back to original configuration.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
The shrinking stocks on the post WWII Government Model and Super .38 pistols were advertised as Coltwood, but were not the same material as the Colt 1911A1 Coltwood stocks. Colt made millions of the Coltwood stocks in WWII, and these stocks do not have the tendency to shrink.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Here is an extreme example of stock shrinkage:
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun barrel Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Airsoft gun Gun Firearm Trigger Gun barrel Airsoft gun Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Airsoft gun
This pistol can be seen on page 60 of Douglas G. Sheldon's book, "Colt's Super .38 The Production History -From 1929 Through 1971-". If you have the book, it's worth a look at the photo from 20 years ago. The stock shrinkage has progressed considerably since that photo was taken.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stocks on a 1948 Model S that are the highly-colored versions do not shrink like the later dull brown versions. That said, the stocks on a Model S mount with only one screw, so they will shrink whether on or off the pistol, and shrinkage will not prevent them from being reinstalled on the pistol.

Model O stocks with two screws will shrink while on or off as well, but if they shrink while on the gun, the holes in the stock panels become egg-shaped. Most shrunken Model O stocks can be heated and stretched back to original configuration.

Thanks JudgeColt. That's what I was hoping to hear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts