Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what should the wood stocks for a 3rd issue det special look like? should they have a colt medallion?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts
This depends on what you mean "third Model", since opinions on what the various models ARE differ.

Depending on your preference a Third Model is either the post-1950's skinny barrel, exposed ejector rod version with the "stubby" grip frame, OR the Post-1972 version with the heavy, shrouded barrel.

The 1950's version with the "stubby" steel grip frame will have fully checkered walnut grips with silver or gold Colt medallions.
These grips will "overlap" the bottom of the steel frame, leaving the frame exposed on the front and back, but NOT the bottom where the wood overlaps.
In other words, these look like the same grips Colt used since the 1920's.

The post-1972 gun had the new-style "combat" grips which enclosed the steel frame, leaving only the back strap exposed.

These grips should NOT have Colt medallions.
There are two versions of checkering on these grips. Both patterns have the same shape, but one pattern has a shallow groove enclosing the checkering pattern.

These grips are shaped to better fit the hand, with narrowed areas at the grip tops.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, that is the info I need as I am going to look at a post 72 DS today and from the pics I received I was not sure if the stocks were correct, they are. Its info like this I will miss if this forum goes away.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
dfariswheel, please describe this grips a liitle more in detail, especially the second kind without the border, you can email me direct , thank-you rj
[quote}
These grips should NOT have Colt medallions.
There are two versions of checkering on these grips. Both patterns have the same shape, but one pattern has a shallow groove enclosing the checkering pattern.

These grips are shaped to better fit the hand, with narrowed areas at the grip tops.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bought the Det special 3rd issue, made in 1973 only flaw are two small scratches next to the cylinder latch, no holster wear on muzzle, about 98%, joins its older brother a 2nd issue made in 1952.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,900 Posts
rj:

The grips look exactly like the ones proco posted above, except there is no grooved border around the checkering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts