Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would the default stocks be on a 1979 Single Action Army, nickel finish, 7 1/2 inch, .45 Colt. The gun is in transit to me and is factory engraved with one-piece ivory grips. Paul S. at Colt Archives verified the factory engraving, but the letter will not mention the stocks. Would they be the black stocks with eagle & shield or plain walnut w/o medallions? Or? No box with the gun, unfortunately.

- - -Buckspen

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
I would think that if it were factory engraved that it would have something nicer than rubber or wood stocks. Here is my 1961 SAA in .357 and I think the stocks are correct but it is not engraved.

Colt SAA .357 Nickel L 1961.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
I think the standard stocks for a Nickel SAA in 1979 would be walnut stocks without any medallions. I have a 1982 Nickel SAA that I bought new that has these stocks on it. I also have a 1992 Nickel SAA that has walnut stocks with silver medallions.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
I looked up in Wilkerson's, Single-Action Revolver Handbook 1955-1975 list this for stocks on engraved SAA's. There were a total of 353 engraved from 1954 through 1986. There were special stocks available and those were; ivory, pearl, pearlite, ivorylite, and rosewood. If you have a letter that does not list the stocks, I would suggest that it probably had plain walnut stocks, rather than rubber, otherwise I think they would have been listed if they were something special

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Factory engraved?! Nice. I'd withhold judgement on the stocks until you get the gun in your hands. I have two nickel guns from '79 and both were plain walnut. Also had a latter gun with black rubber that was factory C master engraved and no note of the stocks.

Pull the grips off and see what they tell ya :)
Been more likely that they were factory if they were two piece but one never knows.

Bet it is a beautiful gun.

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
Plain, unadorned wood in a 'pecan' color, and likely made from a pallet when Colt was making those 'Sandblasted Walnut' grips for the 'Series 70' line.

They'll look great (like the originals did) with hard rubber 'Eagle' grips, but I guess one-piece ivory'd look OK...

Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Heck, now why didn't I think of that, the stocks might have the numbers on them. Duh. You are the man Yahoody.

Factory engraved?! Nice. I'd withhold judgement on the stocks until you get the gun in your hands. I have two nickel guns from '79 and both were plain walnut. Also had a latter gun with black rubber that was factory C master engraved and no note of the stocks.

Pull the grips off and see what they tell ya :)
Been more likely that they were factory if they were two piece but one never knows.

Bet it is a beautiful gun.

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys! I was thinking plain walnut, but wasn't sure. 'Course, with no box and no mention of the stocks in the letter, I'll never know for sure but wood sounds good. I am pretty sure that the one-piece ivories are not factory original. Paul S. said it would be "B" standard engraving. The seller's photos show "COLT ENG." on the trigger guard under the grips. I'll be sure to post some new photos when the gun arrives. Should be here early next week.

- - -Buckspen

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing the photos of your new revolver!

I think the guys are right that a set of one-piece walnut stocks would look great on your new revolver. I just like nice walnut stocks with the warm brown color.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts

Really nice gun. Congrads! But sorry I aint buying the general consensus here. This is not "just another '79, nickel, 45". I just can't imagine this gun being shipped from Colt with plain jane, butt ugly (like mine were) two piece wood. Where did the French fitted case come from? Also looks pretty typical of a Colt presentation case from the time frame.

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This afternoon, I spent some time with Don Wilkerson's book on the 3rd gen SAAs (something I should have done several days ago). The serial number of my (as yet undelivered) gun is SA18737 which indicates a 1979 production date. Everything Don W. says points to plain walnut being the standard grips for nickel SAAs in the 1979 period, including engraved guns. The trigger guard is marked "COLT ENG." which would indicate a journeyman engraved gun. Of course, a purchaser may have ordered special grips and I would hope that would be true, but Paul Szymaszek at Colt Archives says that the stocks are not mentioned in the shipping records which would indicate the standard stocks, i.e. the plain walnut type, were fitted to the gun. Additional photos provided by the seller do not clearly show the inside of the one-piece ivory grips, so I won't know for sure if they are numbered or not until I get it in my own hot little hands. The ivories are fitted pretty well, but not quite as as good as I would expect from the Custom Shop. The photos also show the case to be an Custom Shop case with the correct medallion on the lower right hand corner of the outside lid. No way to know if the case was purchased at the same time as the revolver.
Anyway, I am excited to be the (almost, pretty soon) owner of a factory engraved SAA at last. And I DO like one-piece ivory!

- - Buckspen

·
Registered
78 Posts
Look at GB auction item #701111041 1970 Nickle 7 1/2", where the factory letter states Walnut grips! Why would they not state Walnut grips on this gun?

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Colt letter unless it is wrong which has happened on occasion and just missing info which isn't uncommon either. Colt CS ivory has been jobbed out to different makers for years. Each with varying results for fit and size.

Beautiful gun no matter when the entire package was put together.

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Colt Archive letters can vary. I have many Frontier Scout/Buntline Scout/Peacemaker .22/New Frontier .22 revolvers and have lettered quite a few of them. Black plastic stocks were standard on the F numbered Scouts with a small number fitted with plain walnut. There were also a few with rosewood grips with gold medallions. My guns with plain walnut and rosewood have lettered correctly with the grips specified. However, all my guns with the standard black plastic stocks show "Not Listed" in the "Type of Stocks" field except for two. One F numbered gun is listed as having "Black composition with Rampant Colt motif" stocks and one is listed with "Plastic" stocks. I am not sure why this kind of thing happens, but it does.
No matter what the letter on the engraved SAA will say about the stocks, I will be happy with it if the gun is in the condition shown in the photos. Unfortunately, we seem to have hit a bump in the road in the purchase process. The cashier's check I sent seems to have gone astray and was not delivered to the seller. So we are trying to figure out where it went. I have been in contact with the bank and the post office, but so far it has not appeared anywhere. Time will resolve this, I guess.

- - Buckspen

·
Premium Member
4,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My new factory engraved nickel SAA arrived yesterday and it is even better that it looks in the photos. A big plus is that the grips fit very nicely and are beautifully colored. No time for photos 'cause I am packing for the CCA convention.
But I am bringing it with me, so if you are coming to the show, you are welcome to come by and take a gander at it. I guarantee you will like it. And, Paul Szymaszek from Colt Archives has promised to have a letter for me!

- - Buckspen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts