Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stocks s/n\'d to the gun? very early DS and BS

Late 20's/early 30's Detective Specials / Bankers Specials, were the stocks serialed numbered to the gun?

I'm currently looking at a 1930 square butt Bankers Special in the .38 cal with original serial numbered box. On the box it says "checkered trigger". I've never seen "checkered trigger" shown on a box.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Re: Stocks s/n\'d to the gun? very early DS and BS

Hey Addicted;

I'm examining the grips on my 1932 Banker's Special and am not finding any markings on the inside of the grip panels. This revolver features the checkered trigger. I'd love to see some shots of the box. I noticed that your .22 Banker's Special recently featured on a thread didn't show "checkered trigger" on the box. Mine has no box.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Re: Stocks s/n\'d to the gun? very early DS and BS

I believe that most prewar guns had the serial written inside the stocks. In the hard rubber stocks, up to about 1923, it was scratched with a stylus and will be still visible today. When Colt changed to walnut, it was written with a pencil, and with age and gun oil, many are very faint or have disappeared. In my collection some walnut stocks have the graphite number visible and some show no trace. I have one 1933 DS where the serial has been stamped (imprinted) on the stocks.

If the serial wasn't visible, it wouldn't stop me from buying if everything else looked right.

The "checkered" label was probably used when Colt was transitioning from smooth to checkered triggers, which was about from 1928-29, and after that it was only used when the checkered trigger was an extra cost option on something like a Pocket Positive, which didn't have a checkered trigger standard. Just an educated guess...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts